Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 302DZ clone. It has a partial vin 19N598017 VO104DZ stamp. I thought I was buying a real 302 until you guys picked up on the casting date number of K273. Obviously it is a re-stamp. But I'm over that. It is a 4 bolt main with casting number 3970010. It has all the right stuff, 1178 crank, 3927186 heads, 1969 winter intake and a completely rebuilt Holly 3923289 DZ List 4053 704 carb. You can see the bottom of the pistons have been drilled for balancing. I put in a new oil pump, fuel pump and line, windage tray (was missing), and timing chain. I made the decision not to pull the pistons after checking the bearing clearance was okay. It was my bad not to pull the cam to check that while I had it apart. Hey, I'm a rookie, don't beat me up please. It's almost together. Just waiting on the new valve covers that are backordered. I'm at the point now to configure the vacuum lines. Does any one have an original stock 302 DZ that you could send some pics to show the PVC and vacuum lines? I do not have smog control. Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Not many lines. The PVC comes from the carb base plate on the passenger side of the carb and goes between the front of the carb And water neck , to the front of the driver's side valve cover. The original hose had a molded 90 degree bend at the pvc. The booster line went to the single port screwed into the back of the intake. " Between the carb and dist. "
The vacuum advance went to the passenger front metering block, but it will run better off of the front carb plate port.

I have a 750 double pumper on mine, so the pcv is tied into the line going to the brake booster. The booster line has a bracket that goes to the valve cover bolt to hold the line up . With the air cleaner on you can't tell it's not 100%, but looks it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I understand all that except for a couple of things and I apologize for my not knowing, but what is the front metering block? I will use the front carb plate port for the vacuum advance but was just wondering what the metering block is. Also, the valve covers I ordered are from Rick's Camaro. They are the finned aluminum for the Z28. The right side cover has another hole that looks like a place for another PVC. If you go to RicksCamaros.com and look at SKU: 33 180193-1 you can see another hole in that cover. I'm guessing your car does not have that. Can you send a pic of the other side of your engine? Here is the link to the valve cover I'm referring to. https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-valve-cover-z28-right-finned-aluminum-1969-1974-33-180193-1.html#tab-label-lyonscg_fitment_tab-title

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
The other side is also for crankcase venting, but instead of a PCV it has a fitting and hose that connects to the air cleaner base there is also flame arrestor screen. You will need to use a different rubber grommet, elbow, and connector hose with the OEM style 2" air cleaner drop base.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect. That picture and explanation was what I needed. I do not have cowl induction but I just ordered an air cleaner, elbow and hose from Rick's. It's all good now. All you guys are the BEST! Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Metering block, pass side vacuum port above the idle mixture screw is PORTED vacuum, not good for vacuum advances on performance engines.

Just a note, to correctly run full manifold vacuum for the vacuum advance, off one of the base plate vacuum ports, you need to use some sort of vacuum advance degrees stop plate, to close down the degrees the vacuum advance gives when connected. Stock, the pull pin had a rubber bushing to stop travel and lower degrees available, aftermarket advances don't have that rubber stop, nor are any stock ones left intact, they have all rotted off.

The plate shown is a Crane 99619-1, available stand alone, or comes in the Crane adjustable advance kits, also shown. Mounting th stop plate is dirt easy, drill, tap hole for 8/32 screw and flat washer, mount the plate, trim excess threads off end of screw, set degrees, go.

My website isn't up right now, new OS from Microsoft, and some access to my stuff is being fixed, or I would recommend you ask for the vacuum advance stop plate package, lots of printed info, and pictures on how to do, all free, no ads. you might try asking for it next week, mid-week, [email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts