Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this original style have any way to test or adjustment? Also what causes the carb to go moto the fast idle step?:confused:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bi-metal is the name, thats why I called it non electric. How do I know if its working correctly?

·
11,296 Posts
sorry, Steve, did not read the "not" :) The bi metal spring has a range (hot/cold), you need a cover!. the rod and cam also have a range (choke closed/open). the length of the rod is used to match these ranges, so when the spring is cold and you hit the gas, it closes the choke. If it does not, you bend the rod until the choke closes when the engine is cold and you hit the gas pedal. Then you need to adjust the fast idle screw when the choke is closed. there is also some adjustment with the vac unloader. This info should be in the tune-up specs section of a chiltons, motors, etc.

·
Super Moderator
32,437 Posts
Along with Kevin's suggestions, the heat riser needs to work correctly and the manifold crossover should be open and clean of carbon.

The heat riser is closed when cold diverting the pass exhaust through the intake to drvr side to heat up the carb and choke spring. as heat is generated, both, the heat riser and choke, open up.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I open the throttle the choke does close and when car is started the choke pull off does open it up some. I have ordered a set of carb gauges that should be in soon.
A friend at work welded the heat riser open years ago, not sure if that was a good idea?
Where is the manifold cross over located, is that the hole in the front of the carburetor and manifold front base.

·
11,296 Posts
The manifold x-over is another opening between the exhausts that go under the manifold. When the heat riser is closed, it forces the exhaust to the drivers side, heating up the manifold and bi-metal spring. It can work without it, just takes a little longer to heat up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts