Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
pulled the motor out of my 68 convert. 4"bore 3.25 stroke
block 3970010 2 bolt main
date code on rear flange has a 69 code.
010 020 under timing cover

The block has the following # stamped on the front pad . I would like to know what it was out of .
69y050192 VO613F2 (the F2 is clear as a bell)

Also which section has the parts that you try to get back to original owners? (tag team , bench racing ect) I have a 64 corvette block & a camaro Block
Thanks guys

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I think the reason you're having trouble with the decode is that it is not a "Chevy" block.

The partial VIN is from a Cadillac (6 is the division code for Caddy, 1 is Chevy) built in 69 or 79 (my bet is 79) at the Wilmington (y) assembly plant.

I tried looking up the F2 as a Cadillac suffix, but there isn't anything I could find on the web.

If it has a 3.25 stroke, it sounds like someone put a large journal 327 crank in it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I know you say F2 is clear but could the 2 actually be a Z?

FZ is a 1969 327-235hp Police

But as said the con vin first digit points to Cadillac but they did not use Chevy engines in 1969 and if it were 1979, the suffix would have to be 3 digits.

Y is Willmington Assembly that built full size Chevy cars. I find it hard to envision Cadillac putting a 327 e 2bbl engine in any of thier cars.

So, 2 things to check; the 6 and the 2.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Eric & Elcamino
THe 3970010 block is definatly a chevy small block ( ( I have always been a chevy man-Camaro's Street rods & Race cars. ) The numbers on the pad are strange. Crystal clear stamping--Has 291 duble humps & torquer manifold.
No biggie I'll just rebuid it . was curious about the origin of the block Thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Strange - the only plant other than the main Cadillac plant in Detroit that built Cadillacs was Linden (Eldorados).

:beers:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
btw

3970010 is a 350 block used from 69 to 79 in every Chevy model from trucks to cars, low to high performance. Millions made.

The F2 must be a mistake.

the 010 and 020 just refer to the amount of nickel and tin in the iron.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts