Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
New to forum, but long time lurker. Stumbled on a Camaro a few weeks back and snapped a pic. Owner may sell, but doesn't know current value. Help me out with a ballpark dollar figure if you can please. I am not looking to flip this car, but may purchase as an investment if all things are true about it.
69 SS 396 with A/C. Was a 4 speed car, but is now a TH400. Paint is original, few dents and dings as seen in the pic along the door and quarter. Light hail damage on roof (very light, owner pointed it out or I would have missed it). No sheet metal repairs noticed, and the quarters look 100% original. Passenger side inner fenderwheel is cut and patched, owner says he cut it up to get to the heater core without removing the fender. Patch is rough. Owner claims original non molested 396 motor. Reason for tranny swap is that he was tired of the 4 speed (shifting while holding a beer is hard, were his exact words) and had a TH400 installed in 1972. All clutch linkage is still around the shop somewhere. He is the second owner. POP and dealer invoice from original owner are available (but not seen yet). He has never looked for build sheets, and says the seats and gas tank have never moved from the car. Interior is a hideous green color, but all original. Rear end is original and never apart. Wheels are not original (15's), but owner claims orignal rallys are somewhere in the shop. It was parked in 1986 inside his garage, this picture was the first time it was out in the sun since then.
My impression is this owner is legit, and the car looks very complete. Chrome valve covers and air cleaner lid, and various little things missing or wrong, but for the most part a 90% original car in my opinion.
So, assuming all is legit what is she worth?
Thanks,
TL
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/0LT/69Cam.jpg

·
Registered
222 Posts
It will all depend on the docs and the engine being the original. If you have good docs and the engine is #'s matching I would guess about $20K - $25K as is. No docs and no proof of engine being original knock off about $5K - $10K. Looks like it could be a cool car but restoration costs are high and non-desireable colors make it worth maybe $40K when done. Just something to compare it to, there is a 69 SS396, TH400, #'s match for sale in the classifieds here on camaros.net for $35K/OBO. It has been for sale for awhile and is in much better condition and more desireable colors.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
You can just about bet there is rust under that vinyl top and under rear window glass, nature of the beast especially with the vinyl top, ask me how I know :) crawl inside the trunk on your back and look up all around the underside of the package tray and above wheel wells, if you see rust, you are in for some body work. Welcome to Team camaro too

·
Registered
576 Posts
Get all the numbers for a better evaluation of it. cowl tag vin engine rear end numbers. That will tell a little more about originality.

·
Registered
464 Posts
i agree, you really need to know what the car will be worth finished. i think done and done right, the car may be worth in the high $40s. ( just my opinion) and although it will be fun and very rewarding to restore the car it could very easily cost $30- $35000 to redo, not to mention 5 years. i always look at this as a hobby, but you still dont want to have $60000 in a car thats worth $45000. unless you really feel the need to do the work yourself it may be better to find something done to your liking that you can drive and enjoy right away. just my 2 cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts