Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 4 speed and the back up lights are always on when the keys are on , I found the curved switch above the steering column and unpluged it .
Is there a wire to the transmission or how does it know when it is in reverse ??:sad:

·
Registered
218 Posts
i had a set of linkage that would move the steering colum to the reverse position turning on the back up lights. there was a piece on the frame as well I think it had about 3 parts. Go to your favorite supplier of repop parts. I think you will find what you need to hook it up properly.(reverse lockout) I removed it because if i remember correctly the car had to be in reverse to take the key out(didn't like that)My cure was a switch under the dash. If you turn the colum below the wheel i believe your lights will go off.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Brian is right. The linkage connected to the little ear on the column tube, located on the engine bay side of the column, down near the coupler. When you put the factory shifter in reverse, the linkage rotated the inner column tube to activate the switch you unplugged, and it also rotated the column inside to allow the ignition key to be removed.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks i am missing the 3 peice bar from my trans they must of hit the headers and were taken of .

Am i better off using 67-68 trans mounted electric switch or try to replace the bar system ?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Can't you just plug it back in and see if you can rotate the column by hand, as described in the thread I posted above, to turn on the backup lamps?

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i plug it in and rotate the arm under the hood by hand it works but to pass safty inspection it needs to work with the shifter .

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Oh. Here in Pennsylvania, you can install a separate switch to activate reverse lamps, as long as there is an indicator bulb in the circuit (to give you visual evidence while you're in the driver seat that the backup lights are on or off). That's how my car was rigged when I bought it.

I think for us to give you more ideas, we need to know exactly which shifter and 4 speed you have, to know whether a factory 67-68 style would even work. Maybe something like an aftermarket switch would work? Here's a link to a Hurst unit at Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...art=HUU-2480003&N=700+303484+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is that 4sp backup switch what is supposed to connect to the two prong male socket on the firewall about 6" below the wiper motor? That is one of the few things I haven't figured out. I never had the backup light wiring when I got the car and am going to put in the Hurst switch.

Mine is a 68 so it appears that is different without all the fancy column linkages.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a hurst back up switch and bracket for 25.00 i am goging to give it a try i think it is the comption plus shifter i have .I see this is a common problem !
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP:hurray:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Is that 4sp backup switch what is supposed to connect to the two prong male socket on the firewall about 6" below the wiper motor? That is one of the few things I haven't figured out. I never had the backup light wiring when I got the car and am going to put in the Hurst switch.

Mine is a 68 so it appears that is different without all the fancy column linkages.
Yep, that's the backup light connector on a '68 with floor-shifted manual trans. I'd wonder what mine was a bunch of times until last night when I was looking through the assembly manual for the antenna install instructions and noticed the section on 4-speed backup light switch installation. I ran some jumpers over to my LS1 harness and after some additional fiddling with the rusty bulb sockets, I now have working backup lights for the first time in the 12 years I've owned my '68.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep, that's the backup light connector on a '68 with floor-shifted manual trans. I'd wonder what mine was a bunch of times until last night when I was looking through the assembly manual for the antenna install instructions and noticed the section on 4-speed backup light switch installation. I ran some jumpers over to my LS1 harness and after some additional fiddling with the rusty bulb sockets, I now have working backup lights for the first time in the 12 years I've owned my '68.
When I get my car back on the road it will be nearly 20 years! Good thing I never had it inspected for backup light operation. Never even had the sockets until recently. Those grounds are a terrible problem back there. I am hoping with a full rewire I will have fewer problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts