Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Recently I found a '69 6 cyl. for sale, but I want a 350 V8. The owner told me it is simple to build a 350ci in the car...."everything will fit the car, you have to buy some new motor hang-ups, but it will be strong enough" (8.2 rear??? whatever that means, he said that 350's and 396 also come with that 8.2)
Is this correct or is the drive-train, rear-axle etc. of a 6 cylinder weaker than a '69 V8. Or is it the exact same car with the same specs but with a 6 cyl. engine built in it in stead of a V8??
Please help me with this issue!!

Thanks David

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
David,
It should be very easy, other than the new hangups as you call them. The radiator and other cooling hardware will probably need changing also. The rear end should be just fine unless you got a bunch of extra ponies in this new 350. Hope it all works out.

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED

·
Registered
389 Posts
David,

I have a 69, orig 6 cyl car, w/ a 327 in it now. (I'm currently in the process of a frame-off and will be putting a 383 in when I'm done.)

Putting the SB in is easy. New mounts are required and, as Scott said, a new cooling system is a good idea!

Since the rear is a 8.2", it probably has the stock 2.73, non-posi gears. Like Scott said, unless you plan to build one heck of a 350, it will be fine. However, the 2.73's will REALLY hold you back! I'm replacing my 8.2", 2.73's with a 12 bolt, 3.73, posi. If you want to stay w/ a 10 bolt, go with an 8.5" as you will need that to fit 3.0+ gears!

Does your car have the PowerGlide tranny? I'm replacing mine w/ a TH350. Lots more fun!

Good luck,
Rob
http://www.rmfsys.com/camaro

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob, I haven't got the car (YET!!!)

I'm going to see it in a few weeks, and if I like it I'll buy it.

OK, but if I swap the engine (6 cyl - 350 v8) does the car need new brakes and a new master cylinder, or will the stock brakes/cylinder do the job? (I want a car with plenty of little pony's) And what about the fuelpump, wiring etc. do I need to swap that also?

thanks for the advice guys..

David

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, new brakes are always a good thing! ;) I have the stock 4 wheel drum setup all around now and it was fine. I am going to put front discs on when I rebuild it though.

If you don't change your rear, you won't have to worry about it. Believe me, those 2.73's are SLOW!!! Also, an 8.2" 10 bolt isn't the strongest thing in the world. If you are gonna' build the cr_p outta' that 350, then at least go to an 8.5" 10 bolt and get into the 3.0's.

I'd use the fuel pump from the 350, unless you want a new one or electric. Unless you go elec, the wiring is darn near the same!

Good luck and keep us posted,
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts