Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69' Camaro, 67' Chevelle
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if any of you have ever put AC into a non factory AC car. I have all the vents and controls but no AC unit just regular air.

is it even worth trying to accomplish or is it a pain in the a**?

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
814 Posts
I'm in the middle of the VA install in a '69 that never had AC. The biggest PITA is getting the old heater out and then getting out the old plastic ducting. We wound up taking off the hood and PS fender last weekend, just put the fender and hood back on today. The VA Evaporator is mounted and I've started routing the air hoses, got the defrosters done and the PS vent done. Ordered some extra hose from Amazon because I have a custom dash setup and I have pulled it a couple of times in the past adding stuff... so I want the center vent and the drivers side vent to have enough slop to be able to mess with without the hose popping off all the time.

Before:

Today:

While I could easily snake the hoses over the fender, I'm leaning towards a straight, no-nonsense run because my electronic headlight motor control module gets mounted to the front of the inner fender well.

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Retrofitting factory air is a big task. Aftermarket air like Vintage Air is a better option imho.

Don

Reactions: Vega$69

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
I agree with Don. Not only is it a big task, the original AC does not work as well as VA gen 4. I installed mine in a day. Works great.

Reactions: 57vette
1 - 5 of 5 Posts