Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a complete resto on a 69 camaro x22 396.Bought performance motor mounts and the engine is to tight and will not set into the frame mounts.Has anyone had this problem with after market motor mounts?I pulled a 396 out of the car so waiting for stock mounts.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
There are two different motor mounts: the early tall and narrow style (1958-'68), and the later wide and short style used from 1969'-'72.

Here is a note from Energy Suspension reference their part number 3-1117G

This is the early style "tall and narrow" motor mount that measures 2 3/8 in. between the ears and 2 3/16 in. tall to the center of the through bolt hole. Must have narrow type frame brackets to use these mounts.

You should have a short and wide engine mount to fit your '69 frame stands.

Big Dave

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
It sounds to me like you have the short and wide engine mounts. These are for the 67-68 Camaro's. The 1969 uses the tall and narrow engine mounts. If your frame stands are the original stands for a 1969 you want the tall and narrow mounts.

URL=https://s263.photobucket.com/user/tjs69_photos/media/engine%20and%20frame%20mounts/2267Anchor67-69307-327-tile_zps1e1b9ef3.jpg.html]
[/URL

Many parts houses and parts books are wrong on this. The above chart should help.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Doing a complete resto on a 69 camaro x22 396.Bought performance motor mounts and the engine is to tight and will not set into the frame mounts.Has anyone had this problem with after market motor mounts?I pulled a 396 out of the car so waiting for stock mounts.

I'd bet all you need is a little help from a Ford adjusting tool, AKA a big hammer. Fit the mounts to the stands before bolting them to the block. It works wonders knowing they fit the stands before dropping the complete engine in all at once.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts