Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question concerning 69 Power Steering pumps. After thumbing through several Camaro Parts Catalogs, I noticed they all but NPD list BB and sb units separately. And of course there is a price difference. However, they all list the pump minus the reservoir for all 69 Applications. Hmmm. So I picked up the phone and called several of the local auto parts stores like Napa, AutoZone, Discount Auto and so on, and every one of the companies specified that the there is only one pump for ALL 69 V8's and separate one for the six Cylinder. Most all places are charging w/core exchange around $45 for the pump and reservoir. Can you shed some light on this topic? It is starting to look like somebody is taking advantage of the unknowingly out there.

Tom Weaver

------------------
Tom

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Tom,
I don't have an answer to your question, but just wanted to welcome you to the site. What took you so long? Did you ever find the exhaust manifolds for your BB?

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet. Still need the pass side "178" with smog holes. CAN ANY BODY OUT THER HELP? I also need a 69 late Feb or Early Mar 067 intake. I called some of the tech guys on the pum and nobody can give me a straight answer.

·
10,153 Posts
I'd suspect a really really correct pump for a BB might have a slightly higher pressure setting.
A replacement pump from NAPA or such, would probably be more of a one size fits all deal, but would probably work fine.

There are differences in pulleys, and differences in shaft type, 75 up has a press-on pulley that is larger dia shaft. later pumps use metric fittings in the 80's.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 08-28-2002).]

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
The reservoirs are different on the 69 BB pumps, the return nozzle is pointed in a different direction due to clearance issues. After fruitlessly searching for a new pump/reservoir for my 69 BB car, I gave up and bought the pump only from Autozone (50 bucks), and reused my old reservoir. The installation was a piece of cake.......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!

<A HREF="http://hobbystage.net/camaro/69ss396" TARGET=_blank>Hobbystage Texas Tornado Website

</A>

North Texas Camaro Club

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you send a good detailed pic pointing out the difference? I have an orig 69 sb unit that works just fine, but don't yet have the correct bracket to mount the unit to the block. (I have a set of Brackets comming)So from what your saying is that the sb reservoir won't clear the return line? but the bottom portion (pump) is the same? Thanks for for some insight here. Tom

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was a tremendouse help!!! So Guessing by using the correct 69 BB Brackets, a sb pump's return line will not clear, or the rubber line would have to be bent aroubd the bracket?
----------------------------
1969 Z11 396, 4sp w/AC
I Need 69 BB Parts. Please help!!!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The exhaust manifold and return line clearence using a SB pump is an issue on the BB cars. The way I understand it is this pump and brackets was used in 69 only. I'm using this same pump with reproduction brackets on my 69. I've seen these pumps and reseviors bring 175.00 at swap meets lately.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is scary thought of $175. Ricks offeres Orig correct remanufactured units for $129. I personally thought that was high. That is the reason for writing you guys to for the correct info. I would like to thank everybody for the tremendous amount of info provided the past two days. If you guys need to purchase "New Camaro" parts, Email me @ [email protected]. I can get a big break on parts. Once again, thanks so much for the help. "A picture is worth a Thousand words"!!!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Is that with the resevoir? Last I heard no one was reproducing the resevoir! If thats the case I don't think you'll find it any cheaper.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just called my parts supplier and I can sell you guys a Rebuilt Correct "69 Only" BB pump with a "NEW" Reservoir for $110. They said they are show Quality units. Lids are sold separately. These are of course special order items and take about 2-3 weeks to get in.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Sounds like a bargain if someone needs one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts