Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 rs/ss with blue deluxe interior. My question is would a blue comfort grip wheel have been an option on my car in 69?

Tell me what you all think of this wheel with my interior. I'm looking for opinions.

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
I think I have to partially disagree with John on this one... The NK1 wheel was the "cushioned rim" wheel and never made it onto a '69. There are many colors of this wheel and they were found on Vettes, Buicks and others. Here's a bit more...

http://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/6/3471.html?

On the other hand if you are not completely looking for correct, I agree with John it would be a nice touch...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I`ll take the option to feel comfortable whenever I grip my steering wheel---Oh wait--you said....

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info. I still can't decide what to do. My car has a blue GM steering wheel on it now. The wheel is cracked and in bad shape. The horn shroud is missing.

I really like the rosewood wheels(doesn't everyone) but don't like the price. I'm afraid I won't be happy with a repro wood wheel.

I noticed Rick's sells a 69 comfort grip wheel, and says it was a relatively rare option. That's why I thought they might have been an option in 69. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Originally posted by DjD:
I think I have to partially disagree with John on this one... The NK1 wheel was the "cushioned rim" wheel and never made it onto a '69. There are many colors of this wheel and they were found on Vettes, Buicks and others. Here's a bit more...

http://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/6/3471.html?

On the other hand if you are not completely looking for correct, I agree with John it would be a nice touch...
You couldn't order a cushion grip for a 69? I could have sworn that was an option, I learn something new here every day! That being said, I'm leaving mine on, I think they are the best looking wheel for a 69 (except the rosewood of course, with the matching rosewood dash!)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
The NK1 "Cushioned-Rim" steering wheel was technically released as an option around April 1969. The dealer press release states that it is the same wheel used on the 1969 Corvette, is 15" diameter and has a black vinyl horn cap.

When Chevrolet relased production of options for the '69 model year NK1 was 0. No documented installation is known.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
What about what? There was a question about blue comfort grip wheels, I thought I found one on eBay, so I posted the link to it. Correct or not, it would still look good in the guys Camaro, what's your point? :confused: In fact, here's another one, feel free NOT to click on the link if you are not interersted:

2nd blue comfort grip on eBay

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I guess I assumed you could read with comprehension. CK2 asked:

My question is would a blue comfort grip wheel have been an option on my car in 69?

The answer is no, no matter what is claimed on ebay. The '69 press release for the Cushioned-Rim wheel [not comfort grip] states that it is the same wheel used on the '69 Corvette; black only. The blue, tan, red and green N34 wheels seen on ebay were common in '70s Buicks. I am fairly certain Chevy only used black for '69 & '70.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Read with comprehension, that's a good one. Listen Billy, it's already been made clear in this thread that the steering wheel in question is not factory "correct" for a 69 Camaro, I said as much two or three replies ago, or didn't YOU comprehend that? That doesn't mean ck2, or anyone else for that matter, couldn't put one of these other "incorrect" comfort grip wheels in their Camaros, in fact, I have one in my car, and it looks awesome! I wasn't posting a link stating "Look here, proof positive, a factory correct 69 blue comfort grip wheel because somebody on eBay says so!!!!" To be honest, I didn't even read the auctions, so I don't care what they have to say, we've already concluded it was not a factory option, so what part of this don't you UNDERSTAND? Maybe you should read the thread again and try to get it through your head that all I'm trying to do is give a guy a link to an auction for an incorrect wheel that he may or may not want to purchase for his car? Not because the eBay ad says it's correct, but just because it's a cool steering wheel?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Once upon a time there was a lovely princess. But she had an enchantment upon her of a fearful sort, which could only be broken by love's first kiss. She was locked away in a castle guarded by a terrible fire-breathing dragon. Many brave knights had attempted to free her from this dreadful prison, but none prevailed. She waited in the dragon's keep in the highest room of the tallest tower... for her true love and true love's first kiss. Right, like that's ever going to happen.

There. Told you I could read AND comprehend.............. :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
540 Posts
You shut up. Not only are you an Oger, but you're also a Grinch.

You ever see the new T-Mobile cell phone commercials? You remind me of the chubby guy ripping his shirt off.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I am gonna hijack this thread a little.
I just installed one of these wheels (kit from Rick's)in my car (first time installer) and have a question. I had to remove the plate that controls the steering wheel lock feature. Does this plate need to be installed with the cushion-grip wheel in some manner? Of course, my steering wheel no longer locks. The installation instructions do not show the entire procedure.

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
Originally posted by drdave69:
I am gonna hijack this thread a little.
I just installed one of these wheels (kit from Rick's)in my car (first time installer) and have a question. I had to remove the plate that controls the steering wheel lock feature. Does this plate need to be installed with the cushion-grip wheel in some manner? Of course, my steering wheel no longer locks. The installation instructions do not show the entire procedure.
The only reason you needed to remove the plate was to install the cam that has the tube on it for the spring and eyelet or dowel like piece. The lock plate then goes back on. When I installed mine the lock plate wouldn't fit back so the ring clip could be snapped in place and I determined the cam I got with the kit was not the right piece. I believe I used the one that was there from the orig wheel but I may have had one in a box, it's been too long ago.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thanks for quick reply Dennis. I guess I will pull it back apart and figure out how it needs to be put back in (the lock plate). I know what you mean about the spring clip. It was a pain to remove the lock plate with the spring clip in place. I just pulled the spring clip out then pryed the lock plate out. I did not put the spring clip back in with the new cam piece.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts