Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, got an original set of GM bumper guard strips (Ebay), still sealed in the factory packages. After taking them out of the package, I noticed a white "film" on them, I assumed they were just dried out from years of being unmolested in the package. I soaked them in some WD40 for a while, and then soaked them in Armorall too, but the white film is still there? I don't want to ruin these brand new pieces, is there anyway to get this film off, or am I just SOL? Anyone else ever run into this?

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!
The Texas Tornado lives!

North Texas Camaro Club

Hobbystage Free Picture Posting!!! http://hobbystage.net/camaro/69ss396/

·
11,630 Posts
John, I think you are already SOL. I cleaned my NOS dash pad that had been sitting for 20 years that had the white on it with Meguires vinyl and rubber cleaner. Came right off with a scrub brush. Sprayed it on and scrubed it off.

Soaking rubber pieces in those oils can't be good for them, sorry.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, 3.55 posi too! Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 03-24-2002).]

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
The white should be a presevitive that is kind of a wax base. I put a hood seal on the '69 that was that way and if I recall I dry rubbed the wax off with a terry towel. It took some rubbing but I got it off!!

Just my opinion but the soaking isn't going to hurt the rubber pieces, they're not very porious and with the wax coating (if that's what it is) they're even protected more.

You may try to clay bar them or laquer thinner might work well also.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm glad you're still alive. Just made arrangements last Friday to ship the car. Hope to get it within a week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts