Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,526 Posts
If your not looking for replication of original, I'd go for an Interstate, 500-550 CCA's if no power accessories, Group 24.

If you have power acc's, I'd drop in a 800-900 CCA Group 27.

But, most of a;ll check the Interstate book for their suggestion of battery.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a Champion last September. Removed the cables when I wasn't driving my Camaro. 1-3 months at a time. Occasionnaly (every few days or so) put a trickle on it.
Yesterday I tried to start the car and got nothing! So hooked up the battery charger for about 15 minutes (probably not enough) and got one small crank out of the car.
Rehooked for about 45 min and same thing and battery dropped from 100% to 0. This was probably a no-no but recharged again for about 90 minutes but not unhooking I tried to start again. Got a couple of cranks than gradually nothing. Since this (one of many from Sams Club) battery had a 3 year 100% replacement I thought I'd just take it back for a total refund and got it.
Is there something I'm doing wrong? Need battery advise.
By the way what was the original batter fot my 69 327/210hp bumblebee (DX1)?

·
Super Moderator
32,526 Posts
You should charge battery every month, like clockwork.

Otherwise, battery will lose its charge, and then it will sulfate. Nothing you can do except: 1) Quick charge it to break up sulfating, makes battery useful, but, shortens its life considerably, 2) exchange battery with a new and start over with a better maintainance program.

It doesn't take much every month, maybe a couple hours of charge to keep it fresh. Buy a DVM, Harbor Freight sells a cheap one for $10, and use to monitor battery charge. Anytime charging voltage gets over 16 volts, time for a new battery.

Another method of checking charge is to buy a battery hydrometer, one of those with the floats is affordable enough. If you happen upon a professional one, this one being temperature compensated, the closer to a Spec Gravity reading of 1.260, the better. SG of 1.260 means 100% charged.

To answer your second post, you're not allowing the battery to charge up enough. Usually, from a dead battery, slow charging, less than 10 amps, it will take about 8-10 hours for a good charge.

Another suggestion, is to buy two of the same battery model and swap out with another vehicle every couple weeks, this way both get exercised.

Everett

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sharan,
Perhaps you have a starter problem.
If you leaving the battery unhooked there is no drain on the battery.
You should not have to trickle charge a battery every few days if it's just sitting in the car. Perhaps once a month should maintain it fine.
I use a solar battery maintainer on my boat which has two batteries and it works great.
I doubt the battery is bad if you just bought it in September.
Suggest you have the battery charged and load tested and go from there.
Orange Park ? Are you in Jacksonville, FL ?

------------------
You must have been editing your profile while I was typing because I thought it only said Orange Park. Anyway WELCOME, neighbor !
TGIF
Drew

69' X-11 350, Turbo 350, Factory Air, PS, PB, 12 Bolt (410 gear) & NOT AN SS

[This message has been edited by drew69 (edited 07-12-2002).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.
I'm going to buy a delco battery. My car's cables must have been changed out before I bought it in N Hollywood CA in 89. (I'm 3rd owner, 2 other gals owned it before)
First I have to change the cables back to the side post configuration as called out in the specs for my stock (vin124379L508116.) I lost points at the Super Chevy Show in Gainsville FL last Oct due to the Champion and wrong cables. I WILL take your advice!
Sharan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts