Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have been looking at a/c for my 67 ss/rs. I will probably be buying a brand called "Vintage Air". Hot Rod shops use them because thy're built for higher HP motors. Check with a local shop. They should be able to look at your car and order all the parts. They can install or you can--from what I've heard, the install support is good. This may not be your style if you're set on looking for parts from older cars.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The Vintage Air set-up is the hot ticket for keeping cool (sorry, couldn't resist).

The kit runs about $1,000 and is very good. The ENTIRE assembly mounts underneath the dash. There is no A/C box on the firewall in the engine compartment.

I see two major disadvantages with the original style A/C:

1. The GM compressor is big and heavy. The Vintage Air system uses a modern aluminum rotary compressor.

2. Original compressor requires Freon (getting VERY expensive). Vintage Air systems use the new stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CarlC:
68-72 Novas are great donor cars and the stuff is usually cheap.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info - found an a/c system out of a 73 Camaro. The reason I'm using factory a/c is I'm running a unibelt pulley system from a 88 Z-28 that utilizes the small Harrison rotary compressor, also using wiring, evaporator from 88 Z-28. Just needed the housing for the evaporator and fan. Has fit pretty good so far, small amounts of fabrication, will let you know details when finished.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts