Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, :waving:

I've been lurking :cool: on here for a while getting things ready for the rebuild of a 69. Funny cause after reading many of these threads I guess most of us are in or started in the same boat ... Scratching are heads and looking at our project for hours on in before we dove in and wondering "what the heck did I get myself into"..lol

A little on the car. Just a basic Camaro that a buddy of mine started about 5-6 years ago. Time and boredom set in and then I grabbed it from him for a really great price.

But it is a Pig in lipstick (I knew it from the beginning). My buddy started getting bored over the years and he started cutting corners. The pics you'll see at the beginning was the way I took the car over from my friend, complete but not to my liking. It needed the complete front (dash panel, cowl and firewall) and trunk work including the inner wheel wells, shock towers, tail panel and pan. Like I said he cut corners by installing a new roof, outer wheel wells and quarters but never touched the inner and trunk pan (which needs replaced). A shame cause it actually has/had a nice paint job as well :(

next...the tearing down of the front.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some of the corners he cut ... and did he cut...ugh !
The dash area and the inner wells and tower area. Does this dash look familiar to anyone...was it the same bondo bandit that visited all these cars? And yeahhhh...at least remove the screws and weld the hole up, but to see orange paint on them..OMG !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darrell, It never seizes to amaze me what some will do just to see shinny paint on a car. At least you knew what you were getting into. Good luck with your project.
Thanks Al, Yeah friend slapped together and painted to help get rid of it. Had I known at the time what his intentions were I would of stopped him in his tracks. Now I'm undoing some of his work just to make sure he didn't half a$$ other areas..lol I have a little piece of mind though knowing even what I gotta do to it that I still stole it from him. :yes:

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The jig build.. a must have ! Also added the extra rocker supports, 2 per side. Stole the idea from others on these build threads.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Welcome to the site. Well I have seen way worse projects that this. You car is not that bad and it seems you have some welding skills so you should not have too much of a problem. :yes:

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the site. Well I have seen way worse projects that this. You car is not that bad and it seems you have some welding skills so you should not have too much of a problem. :yes:
Thanks Ty, Oh I'm pretty lucky to a point I agree. My floors are good, the rockers and frame rails are solid as far I know. The trunks not real bad but it is a little upsetting that I'm gonna most likely have to cut up one or both quarters to get to the pan, towers and inner wells. :(

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I had a similar issue when I bought mine. It was a little different from yours. The guy had done the inner and outer wheelhouse, quarters, but no frame rails. The rails were pretty bad and he said that when he did the work they were not readily available. It had a new trunk pan but believe it or not I found rivets holding it in.
New rails, towers, filler, drop down panel and the trunk properly installed and it looks like stock now. A great race car chasis shop did the work. I did end up with a couple of cracks in the filler on the fenders, but they are minimal. All was done with the fenders on. I could not believe they only charged me 1400 for labor. I supplied the metal and new body bushings. 800 for parts and I got to return the shackle kit because he used the originals.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Up on the jig and started tearing away at the shoulder, dash, cowl and firewall. Yes I was a one man show moving the car onto the jig, some ingenuity and sweat, really more like a circus but I got it. :hurray:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a similar issue when I bought mine. It was a little different from yours. The guy had done the inner and outer wheelhouse, quarters, but no frame rails. The rails were pretty bad and he said that when he did the work they were not readily available. It had a new trunk pan but believe it or not I found rivets holding it in.
New rails, towers, filler, drop down panel and the trunk properly installed and it looks like stock now. A great race car chasis shop did the work. I did end up with a couple of cracks in the filler on the fenders, but they are minimal. All was done with the fenders on. I could not believe they only charged me 1400 for labor. I supplied the metal and new body bushings. 800 for parts and I got to return the shackle kit because he used the originals.
So you reinstalled all that with the quarters remaining on. Oh jeeze that'd be awesome if I could keep the qtrs on and remove the inner wells, pan and tail. I know I'll try that first before I start cutting away at the qtrs for sure.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
So you reinstalled all that with the quarters remaining on. Oh jeeze that'd be awesome if I could keep the qtrs on and remove the inner wells, pan and tail. I know I'll try that first before I start cutting away at the qtrs for sure.
I had a professional race car chassis guy do the work. When I went to look at the car it there was a hug hole where the trunk pan was and you could see the garage floor. This guy was one of those old school guys who could make a fender with an English wheel. I got the frame rails from Classic Industries and they were one size fits all back then. Had to be trimmed.
I really don't know how he did it I will try to post the finished picture.

I did the trunk spatter and a coat of clear. The bottom looks as good.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
One more picture. It can be done.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I can supply you with a couple of Work in progress shots if you want. It might give you and idea of how he tackled it.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the fun Darrell. I'll be watching with interest of course! :beers:
Thanks Matt... Cheers :beers: Well I'm certainly learning from you and a few others..that's for sure. I don't feel all alone now as before that's for sure :D

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can supply you with a couple of Work in progress shots if you want. It might give you and idea of how he tackled it.
Hey Brian, yeah if you could that'd be great. Either post here, email or PM me with them when you have a chance, no rush. I forgot to add that I have to put in new drop offs as well. Seems like a lot without removing the quarters. But I'll trying anything first.

It's a good feeling knowing that guys chime in with suggestions and thoughts from past experiences or ideas.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
Good project, Darrell.
As others, I have seen worse, some should have stayed in the river.
Take your time, do it right. Good attitude always helps.
Don't get overwhelmed, if it does, back off for some repair time on yourself.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hey Brian, yeah if you could that'd be great. Either post here, email or PM me with them when you have a chance, no rush. I forgot to add that I have to put in new drop offs as well. Seems like a lot without removing the quarters. But I'll trying anything first.

It's a good feeling knowing that guys chime in with suggestions and thoughts from past experiences or ideas.

Thanks again
I sent you an email with those pictures. Hope they help. Oh and check out the signature picture. That is how it looks now without any body or paint required on the quarter.
I have a couple of slight cracks on the top of the fender where it meets the tail panel. They are very tiny and the spoiler covers them when the trunk is closed.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm familiar with pig in lipstick oh too well. It amazes me the time/money they put into that paint job. All they had to to do was dig a little deeper prior to the body work. It's disheartening to have to stick it on the jig, but you're starting off on the right track! Consider me subscribed...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts