Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Z28 Camaro X33 Tuxedo Black
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone have experience with and aftermarket brake booster that comes with two non adjustable booster rods? I attempted to install one today and found that no matter which booster rod I installed I had a hard brake pedal with too much brake drag. I ended up reinstalling the old booster that I know is not a 9204 for my 69 Z28 and stills works. A previous owner of the car painted the existing booster and it looks terrible. I wanted to replace it to give a more original appearance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Has anyone have experience with and aftermarket brake booster that comes with two non adjustable booster rods? I attempted to install one today and found that no matter which booster rod I installed I had a hard brake pedal with too much brake drag. I ended up reinstalling the old booster that I know is not a 9204 for my 69 Z28 and stills works. A previous owner of the car painted the existing booster and it looks terrible. I wanted to replace it to give a more original appearance.
There’s a person on this site tha rebuilds and refinishes Original boosters. For your z28 you should spend the money to have it restored(although easy for me say). If interested I can dig up the contact or you could search this site.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,632 Posts
No experience with a repro, but the length of the pushrod depends on the master cylinder. If using the same MC, then duplicate the pushrod length on your old booster. The 2 lengths offered are standard to cover most, if not all MC's and normally don't require alteration.

brakeboosters.com are highly regarded in the Classic Car community. It was around $235 to rebuild/replate a month or so ago. It's under new ownership now, however.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There’s a person on this site tha rebuilds and refinishes Original boosters. For your z28 you should spend the money to have it restored(although easy for me say). If interested I can dig up the contact or you could search this site.
This is not an original 9204 and not worth rebuilding

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No experience with a repro, but the length of the pushrod depends on the master cylinder. If using the same MC, then duplicate the pushrod length on your old booster. The 2 lengths offered are standard to cover most, if not all MC's and normally don't require alteration.

brakeboosters.com are highly regarded in the Classic Car community. It was around $235 to rebuild/replate a month or so ago. It's under new ownership now, however.
I researched the rod lengths, and matched everthing from the old booster without modifying anything on the new booster as best I could. I ordered a booster rod gauge and maybe the is the answer to my situation.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer, but it's not worth rebuilding as it is not an original booster to the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is my follow up to the situation. The long rod that came with the booster is definitely longer than what I need. I purchased a gauge to measure the booster rod and it's about 1/2" too long. Now, I have 2 options, 1) grind the long rod to the size that is needed or, 2) install a spacer as suggested by anotheridiot ( no offense, just referencing his name). I installed (2 )1/2" nuts as a temporary spacer and the brakes work fine.
Hope this helps someone else in the future. I took off the the old booster 3 times and it's harder than you would think, but after the 3rd time you get smarter and it is easier.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a The Right Stuff booster. They provide a long and short booster rod. My master cylinder is a deep bore, but not deep enough for the rod supplied.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is my follow up to the situation. The long rod that came with the booster is definitely longer than what I need. I purchased a gauge to measure the booster rod and it's about 1/2" too long. Now, I have 2 options, 1) grind the long rod to the size that is needed or, 2) install a spacer as suggested by anotheridiot ( no offense, just referencing his name). I installed (2 )1/2" nuts as a temporary spacer and the brakes work fine.
Hope this helps someone else in the future. I took off the the old booster 3 times and it's harder than you would think, but after the 3rd time you get smarter and it is easier.
I’m having the same issue, but not getting your temporary spacer solution. Can you explain further?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you know the length of the rod needed, just cut it. Even if you make a mistake, I think I saw you can buy a new rod for about $10. I did end up cutting the rod and it works fine. The nuts reference earlier pertained to adding the nuts to the studs (This sounds perverted!) located between the booster and the master cylinder. Good luck with the project. The hardest part was reaching behind the booster to remove the bracket on the firewall when installing a new booster. I hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts