Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I officially give up on my factory seat frames and tmi covers. I'm 6'3" and I have to slide so far forward for my head to clear the headliner that it all but destroys my time behind the wheel. They look great but are just unusable without crazy mods and it's just not worth it.

Now I need info from you all on which aftermarket or used junkyard seats would offer the most head room. I read that Corbeaus may work or perhaps Recaros or cipher. Lots of conflicting info, though.

I would like to retain a small dash of factory look and I'm not into the fast n furious racer boy look so maintaining a slight stock appearance is best. I will recover in black vinyl/houndstooth so if a new seat can be custom covered this will help.

thx for your help!

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Hey Nick,

Taller guys have a lot of advantages, but not when it comes to 69 Camaros. 6'0" is about as tall as you want to be with stock seats. As noted, you can try the seat extensions, but it doesn't work for everyone. If I were 6' plus, I would likely go with a Chevelle!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I read somewhere that seats from a Fieros bolt right in and seem to have a low profile. Not sure.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
you need to check into 93-02 Camaro seats....they sit you alittle lower, and to make them fit is really easy, the factory sliders bolt right onto the seats except for about an inch in the rear, which you just weld on an extension....easily done and you can buy the houndstooth covers to match your current houndstooth interior

I'm in the middle of this modification now and the sit lower and are very comfortable, and best yet they recline!!!...oh and I got them off ebay for $150 shipped for both.

seats I got from ebay:

what they look like with the seat covers (sold by Camaro central and ricks Camaro)

with extensions welded onto the factory sliders. The front holes line up perfect, the rears are approx. an inch short as pictured-

here you can see how the factory sliders are just alittle short and need a simple extension welded on-

·
Premium Member
Lee-Marinette, Wisconsin 69 Camaro X 11
432 Posts
Does the rear seat from a gen 4 fit in a 69?

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Does the rear seat from a gen 4 fit in a 69?
I don't think so, I never bought the rear seat in the pic above, I just bought the front bucket seats. It would be awesome if the rear would fit though, it would open up a lot of options but I don't think it would though

·
Registered
781 Posts
Nick
How much do you want to spend, and can you weld ?
I'm 6-2" and have gone through all of this BS already, and now on my 2nd set of custom seats, 1st set TMI sport/houdstooth....
I just finished building custom seat brackets for my new Corbeau GTII's with sliders and just fit drivers side in yesterday ... perfect with lots of leg room

Steve

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I have these seats in my 69:

http://www.arizenracingsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1969HTS

I'm 6'6" and have no issues with headroom or legroom. The seat is bolstered well enough for auto crossing.
Wow, those are pricey....they look good, but pricey...nearly $900 with shipping, mounting brackets, and buttons added:eek:

I only paid $100 for my 02 Camaro seats, then $369 shipped for my TMI seat covers, then $100 for a guy to put em on.....modifying my brackets was free and only took 20 minutes

there's a lot of options for seats out there. These above do look pretty cool though, just a shame youd have to take nearly a thousand dollar chance on liking them

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Wow, those are pricey....they look good, but pricey...nearly $900 with shipping, mounting brackets, and buttons added:eek:

I only paid $100 for my 02 Camaro seats, then $369 shipped for my TMI seat covers, then $100 for a guy to put em on.....modifying my brackets was free and only took 20 minutes

there's a lot of options for seats out there. These above do look pretty cool though, just a shame youd have to take nearly a thousand dollar chance on liking them
Ive chand 4th gen T/A eat covers - pretty damn easy, do it yourself!

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Goddangit bigarmzz, that's going to make me get those for my white with black top 2002 convertible.

Wondering about this....
Could you just get another set of sliders for the stock seats and mod them to just put the seat right on the floor? That way you could return to stock as needed. Even if it meant you couldn't move the seat at all, maybe set it up for where it fits you best, pull it out, hack the sliders, and reinstall? I'm not at home or I'd look at the one of mine that still has stock seats for myself to see.

·
Premium Member
11,169 Posts
Ive chand 4th gen T/A eat covers - pretty damn easy, do it yourself!
Just wondering how comfy are these 4th gen seats? I know 02 Fbird seats sit well and firm but not the best on a long 2500 mile cruise. Thats why I went with TMI sport and seat extenders .

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
ProCar Rally Smoothback's in my '67. They also make the ProCar Rally 1000's with the stitching that goes all the way up the headrest.

Here's a thread with the details: http://www.camaros.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1706968. I bought some custom brackets to lower them, but that company doesn't do custom brackets any longer. I'm just under 6'1" and have plenty of room. If you can weld, you can probably fabricate something on your own.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thx for the replies guys. I've pulled the trigger on the Fiero seats. I got a pair from a yard in Oregon for $50/ea + shipping. I pulled the passenger stock seat and dropped the Fiero seat in place. I measured seat bottom to headliner difference. It's 3.5" lower...a HUGE difference. Getting the houndstooth/black vinyl and red stitch covers going now. I'll post pics once they're done as well as what I need to do with the tracks. As of now, this looks like it will solve my problems. Added benefit: I sat in the 25 year old FIero seats with nasty covers and old foam and they are FAR more comfortable and supportive than a '69 stock seat could ever be.

Tall guys: this looks to be the move you should make.

Nick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Nick.. I am new to this forum but registered to get help on seat options for my 69 also.. I am having to scrap the original front frames as they are beyond repair due to rust. I am only 6'0 but am very curious what direction you went in for your front seats ??

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey BK -
I am in progress on doing some heavy mods to Fiero seats to swap in factory '69 Camaro headrests. It's quite a project BUT I think that the look of separate headrests will add a lot of 'factory' look to the interior...I'm not a fan of integrated rests in early cars. I'll have new pics posted this weekend. They'll be houndstooth with red French seams when done.

My seat build thread is here: (not a ton of info just yet)
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2296914&posted=1#post2296914

·
Registered
71 Posts
ok so i will start some controversy....I may never be allowed to post again...lol....I have an 06 gt mustang convert.....I think the seats would almost look right in a first gen and comfy....only thing I have against the modern seats is they are so not period correct....has anyone else ever had this evil thought?? you can all blast me now

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I wouldn't blast anybody. Since I am one of the tall guys I am 6'1"-6'2" and with my fully redone factory 67 deluxe seats my head rubs the headliner. So I ordered the seat extenders it did help with head head actually touching the headliner but my legs are still bent more then I would like. Thank for my car has factory tilt steering. If the mustang seats could be modified to fit better I say to for it as long as there is no mustang on the seat!

Derek

1 - 20 of 20 Posts