Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted an introduction thread with some pictures but the whole story is:

A friends dad had a 68 z28 and totaled it in the 90s, he bought a 69 V8 coupe and transferred the drivetrain into it (correct intake, heads, scatter shield, aluminum muncie 4 speed, 12 bolt rear with 4.11 posi, cowl hood). The 69 coupe was an AC/Power Steering/Power brake/deluxe interior car.

I have torn the car down and am getting ready to send to sandblast and get started on body work so i need to figure out paint and what to do with it. It would be easy to z28 clone, but I have never really been into tribute so I want to just build it into a street machine that looks stockish on the outside.

Not being a Chevy guy (I mostly restore fords and drive them) I had a few questions:

- My fenders do not have a spot for a 327/307 badge or they were bondo'd over, did all V8 cars get a badge in that location?

- If i decide to not use the cowl hood will the Z28 high rise fit under a stock hood?

- Anyone could order a car with the hockey stripe on the side?

- The only thing missing from the car was the front seats, now that I have looked around for some I find they are one year only. I see there are also aftermarkets from scat etc. I tend to drive cars quite a bit (5k miles a year) so if anyone has a recommendation fore a period correct looking seat i would love to hear it.

- Leave the A/C out? I have two 66 mustangs with A/C, it seems every year i have to screw with them to get them to work.

- The car came with a 750cfm holley, double camel hump 461 heads, the winters z28 high rise, 350 block (4 bolt main from 73) and had a cam in it. The plugs were showing the car running way rich, so i will go with a smaller carb or rejet that 750. What cam is good for a street car with this setup?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
863 Posts
First of all welcome! I will answer the questions that I can.

1. All front fenders had a badge/emblem of some sort. There are templates. Welding the holes closed or bondo'ing over the holes is somewhat common. There are templates if you want to add engine size/badges back. I would recommend downloading the factory assembly manual (AIM). (just do a search on AIM)

2. I am not sure on the hood fitment, I would measure first. Most people prefer the cowl RPO (ZL2) hood.

3. The hockey stripe was included as an SS option. It was called the RPO D90 stripe. It is not common to see them on a non-SS car. Most people do the z/28 stripes which are the 2 wide stripes that go from front to back (skipping the roof).

4. I have stock seats but there are lots of options that look very similar to stock but have increased padding. TMI makes good looking seats but I am not sure on their comfort or durability.

5. If you are wanting to do A/C I would recommend upgrading to a Vintage Air setup.

6. I would just rejet/rebuild your 750. I have no recommendations on a cam.

Before you get too far down a rabbit hole, I would figure out what you want this car to be when it's done. I have seen way too many times that someone wants a car completely stock, stock appearance, a tribute, etc. They start off one way and decide to go a different way and waste a lot of time and money. It's your car, do what you like, but planning is key! Good luck with the car and enjoy it!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Well.... no '67-'69 Z/28s came with A/C, so if you do a clone, people will see that from a mile away. Not really an issue since we are used to seeing more clones than real Z/28s, but something you may not be aware of. Also, the 302s were a high-winding engine that most guys don't like to cruise on the street because they are temperamental. First thing I would do is get pictures of all the numbers off the engine/trans/rear end and post them. If it is a factory 302, there is a registry you can post the info on.... maybe someone saved the car after the crash and would love to have their original drive train back. It'd be worth the most to them Here's where to look for the numbers:
Same website has an orphan section if your numbers check out.

Another point... some cars came without the holes for the engine badge. Namely the COPO cars. The rest should have holes.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Did the OP say it is a 350 block? If do I would build it to 70 Z-28 LT1. All first gen Camaros and Novas had the same seat frames. Difference was head rests, foam and vinyl covers. Check on ebay or craigslist you should be able to find some. Adding extra foam for bolstering will accomplish the same as newer seats for side support, my upholstery guy does it all the time, may have to increase the side vinyl that is available from a upholstery supply for about $15 a yard for madrid vinyl. The original seats have actual springs instead of all foam. You can also add heated seats under the vinyl. Usually cost effective as well. All you guys should visit an upolstery shop and see what they can do with the original, better constructed than many new ones. You can add power as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The 67 & 68 Z-28 came without cowl hoods and the intake/carb fit just fine. The cowl hood was an option.
Some if not all aftermarket fenders came without holes for emblems. That may be what you have.
The carb and cam depend on what you are doing with the car and the compression ratio. I have a 350hp hydraulic cam in a 350 cu. in. engine with a 600 cfm carb for the street in my 68RS. It may be a bit tame for you young guns. If you are not pushing the engine above 6K on a regular basis, you don't need the 750. Most street engines could easily use a 450 cfm carb for the cruising they do.
As said, you need to consider what you are doing with the car - cruise, race, combination - and then determine what you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the input, right now I it is going to be a street car. I sold a 73 that i was daily driving to make room for this so I am likely to just build this as another daily driver. It is a 350 block but the rest is numbered out of a 68 Z28 i will throw up some pictures when i get the chance. I have been out of town working the past couple of days but should have the car completely apart and ready for media blast next week.

I should probably start a build thread but right now the plan is a daily driver:

1. Use the current block/heads/intake with a street cam and a holly EFI system
2. delete the AC, its rare to be hot enough here for it
3. keep the scattershield/muncie 4 speed combo
4. rebuild the rear end with 3.33 or similar gears
5. keep the deluxe interior with some aftermarket seats
6. probably paint dover white with the hockey stick stripes just because i like the look though i dont mind the gold the car originally came with.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
All 68 Z/28s had flat hoods so you should have no problem with clearance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts