Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I just had my clutch replaced with a new centerforce dual friction clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing and clutch fork. The mechanic gave me the car back saying i needed to repllace the clutch return spring because wat was fitted wasnt correct and caused issues with the movvement of the fork. i replaced the spring that was on there (it had a short loop on one side and a long hook of about 12 inches on the other side that was attached to the frame. I replaced it with GMK-4020-951-678 (summitracing) but still have this unusual play in the fork. Any ideas?
Currently the clutch pedal has no resistance on it, when i turn the key it is engaged even with my foot to the floor. Im no expert but reckon that is just an adjustment of the cable however im unsure whats causing the fork issue. See video of fork movement here:
http://youtu.be/fBc5DMNUTR4

·
Premium Member
1967 Camaro SS 350
540 Posts
Re: 69 camaro clutch fork movement issue

Dave,

You need to supply more info on your set up. Flywheel? stock? aftermarket? Throwout bearing?? Did it come with the clutch kit? What clutch fork are you using? Also which bellhousing? Looks like a factory one? What trans?

In the video was that all the fork would move when you depressed the clutch pedal all the way to the floor or is that just free play?

You stated you could depress the clutch all the way to the floor and the clutch is not releasing?

No tension on the clutch pedal when you press it to the floor? Does the fork just freely move back and forth when you disconnect the return spring?

Also your saying you paid a mechanic to install the clutch and he gave you the car back without diagnosing a problem with the clutch he just installed? wtf?

Derek

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi Derek, thanks for the quick reply.
All parts were ordered from jegs website.
555-60102
HD CLUTCH FORK 64-72 GM
183-N-1716
T/O BEARING GM 55-97
183-53026
GM 1-1/8in x 26
070-130-2201
PRESS PLT BOLTS CHEVY
490-10-130
STEEL FLYWHEEL-CHEVY 30LB
183-DF148552
DF GM 66-87 CAR/TRUCK

691-3899021
SMALL BLOCK CLUTCH RETURN

I couldnt tell you what the bell housing is. Is there a way to find out? Im clueles when it comes to this im afraid. The trans is a 4 speed muncie 22.

In the video the clutch pedal is being pressed to the floor.

When i push the foot to the floor the clutch is engaging even before i release the clutch. So if i start the car i need to rev it in order to stop it cutting out. I didnt want to do it too much becuase im afraid ill do some damage to the clutch.

The clutch pedel will return when i take my foot off it, i just done get much resistance when i press it to the floor. It feels extremly light. I have not tried disconnecting the fork from the spring to see if it moves freely, that s a good point. I will check this at the weekend when i get home.

Its hard to find a good mechanic who knows what they are doing in Ireland (i shipped the car home when i moved back to ireland). Its trial and error i reckon and the car has been off the road now for months, i just want to get out there and drive it!

·
Registered
8,349 Posts

Do you have headers on the car? If not, the original return spring was like you describe. It hooked to a spot on the engine frame mount and the other end hooked to the clutch fork. If you have headers you have to use a shorter spring and connect the end to one of the header tubes using a hose clamp.

Adjusting your clutch is very easy. What you want to do is keep the return spring installed, check to make sure the clutch pedal is all the way up against the stop inside the car, then using your hand push down lightly on the pedal enough to overcome the return spring's pressure until you feel resistance from it actually trying to disengage the clutch. What you want is about 1" to 1.5" of pedal travel before you feel that resistance.

Look underneath the car at the clutch fork. You will see a pushrod against the fork that is part of the linkage. It is threaded into a tube that connects to your clutch bellcrank and held in position with a jam nut. It sounds like yours is threaded in to much which shortens the length, leading to too much pedal travel before the clutch starts to disengage.

To adjust, use a 9/16" wrench to loosen the jam nut. Now turn the threaded pushrod out a couple of turns. Extend a tape measure from the floor of the car to the clutch pedal. Push the pedal down with your hand and see how far it travels until you feel the resistance from the throwout bearing hitting the pressure plate. Adjust the threaded rod as needed until you get that pedal movement to between 1" and 1.5". Then tighten the jam nut (while holding the threaded rod so it doesn't try to turn back in), check pedal travel one more time, and go for a spin to see how it does.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes i have headers and its a 350.. So the short spring i got is incorrect. It never stated that it was incompatible if headers are installed so i assumed it was correct. So this type of fork movement is due to the spring not being aligned straight?
The original spring that was installed worked fine prior to the clutch/fork being changed so im not sure why its causing an issue now.. It had a long arm that went over the headers i think and attached to front frame.
I can try the hose clip to the header solution. Is it the short/standard spring used to connect to the hose clip or do i need to fabricate an extension rod? Anyone have a picture of what it should look like?

Thanks for the clutch adjustment instructions. I will try adjusting at the weekend!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The fork i ordered back in march has just been discontinued on the jegs site. I called them to find out more and they confirmed that what i ordered is a direct replacement to the GM clutch fork (GM part# 3892632) pasted in your link so i would assume that it should work. I still have the original fork that i took out so if the return spring modification doesnt resove the issue i will look at swapping back the forks.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts

I didn't think you had a problem with the pedal returning. Everything you've said points to the pushrod on the linkage being out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
1967 Camaro SS 350
540 Posts

I would agree with Steiner I don't think it is the return spring. I thought it could have been the clutch fork not seated correctly on the throw out bearing? Didn't look like he was getting anywhere near enough throw/movement in the fork. Is your clutch pedal the same height as your brake pedal?

Steiner if the rod is adjusted way too short won't the clutch pedal be lower to the floor? Or the rod would just fall out of the little pocket once the fork hits the front of the opening in the bell housing?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts

Derek, as long as the return spring is hooked up it keeps the rod from falling out and also will pull the pedal up to the stop....up to a point. If you get it way too short then yes, what you mention can happen since the spring will only pull the fork back as far as the opening in the bellhousing will let it. It's not hard to get right, but then again it's not hard to mess it up either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys,
The click that seems to come from the fork happens when the pedal is pressed half way.
I removed the spring to check the movement because the spring position didnt make any difference so i reckon its the fork or the throw out bearing maybe?

I took 2 more clips of the fork after i disconnected the return spring:

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Someone else might be able to confirm, but from this angle it looks like the throwout bearing isn't installed correctly on the fork. The fork spring should be inside the bearing lip/shoulder. It looks like the lip was slid under the fork spring.

Actually, the more I look at it the more it looks like the bearing isn't in the fork at all but maybe just sitting on the input shaft ahead of it.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Yep, from about 0:15 on when you're moving the fork you can see the fork rocking around. The throwout bearing isn't in it at all. Should be able to pop the trans out, put the bearing in the fork, and reinstall. Hopefully the bearing didn't chip. That's all on the shop so they should buy you a new bearing anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you!, i will have to suggest that to the mechanic as i dont think i will be able to pop the trans out myself..all i have are a pair of axle stands! Ill only end up doing more harm than good i reckon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i spoke with the guy who did the clutch and he reckons that when i changed the spring i never adjusted the clutch rod, pressed the clutch and popped off the clutch fork from its seating. Can this happen? It seems to have the same play as it did with the original spring.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
It is physically impossible to get the fork off the throwout bearing with everything properly installed. What IS possible is for an installer to start the trans input shaft into the bearing, jerk the trans to the left which will pop the bearing out of the fork, finish installing the trans, not check his work OR adjust the clutch which can burn it up in a mile, and then blame the customer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts