Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working without a manual, so please bear with me...

Non factory a/c car. Are there some secret clips under the dash on the passanger side? There is nothing visible that holds the dash down in that aera. and thats the only thing that is holding it on. I am tyring to be cautious and not destroy anything...

Thanks in advance for any help
Chrisp1

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
Check behind the two large gauges. The wiring harness clips to the back here. Sometimes they are very hard to see. Thats what held mine in place.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Are you talking about removing the dash pad or the bezel?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I am going to assume dash pad.

From the side of the instrument panel toward the passenger side, there are four nuts on studs that hold the dash pad to the metal dash. They are just above where the lower edge of the pad meets the dash.

It's not too difficult to remove the cardboard glove box, and it gains you a world of vision underneath. Makes getting to the nuts much easier.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I am trying to get the dash pad off in order to remove the gauge cluster panel. I am installing all new auto meter ultra lite II gauges in a covan dash panel.

It seems that something is holding it down about in the forward/center of the pad. I will check for those bolts underneath since my glove box is removed.

BTW, I plan on installing the vintage air. this car is a non ac car so it has no center vent. do i need to purchase a new dash pad with the cut out for the center vent or do i just cut the one i have. Do i need anything else besides the center vent/ducting to convert to the a/c car.

Thanks
Chrisp1

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Ya it's probably the 4 nuts like Eric said holding you pad in place. Put your arm thru the glove box and you will be able to find them. There a faily small nut. I think 3/8" Once you get them off, lift the front of the pad and pull towards you. There are I think 6 clips that hold the top in place. Don't forget the 2 screws on the side of the pad. One on each side. It comes out real easy then. Yes you will need to get the dash pad for AC and the center AC outlet. You will also need to change out the heater control panel to one made for AC. You need the sw to turn on the AC. I believe Vintage air comes with everything else.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep,
it came off just like you said.
thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Now try to get it back on. You will probably have to epoxy the clips into position or they will fall off when try to push the dash forward.

That's what I had to do. It was a real pain.

Fred,

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Stone me if you want but its hot here plus dirt blows constantly. I put Vintage in my factory Z. I did get the AC dash pad with the cut out. I did not like the looks of the vintage ac duct vent so I got a factory OEM vent and put it in place. Matches the factory side astro vents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts