Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '69 Camaro that I have just bought a fold down rear seat for. I have been searching for one of these for a good price but they seem to be getting harder to find every day. I bought one, and took it apart and ordered that cover and misc to fix it. When I took the cover off, to expose the cotton like substance that creates the cushion, I saw the the metal wire that makes the spring effect is rusted to the point that the wires at the bottom of the seat have broken. The frame of the seat looks pretty bad also, but I think that I can make another one of those. But what about the wires??? I suppose that they could be made, but that would take a great deal of patience and time. Is there a aftermarket place where you can get these, or anywhere for that matter??? I can not throw it away, because I dont know when I could get a hold of another. Thanks, and any help is greatly appreciated. Robby

·
Registered
966 Posts
I know the feeling. I bought a seat last year and found the same thing. What I'm planning to do is get many heavy duty clothes hangers and bend them into somewhat the right shape. With the rust, I haven't decided how to attach them yet. As far as the cotten filler, good question. For the seat back, no one sees this, so I'm going to use dense furniture foam and pack it. I can use my old seat bottom so I don't have to worry about that. Hope this helps. If anyone else has any ideas, Let's hear it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You said you were going to use clothes hanger wire. 1st, won't this rust??? I have a neighbor that has a lot of cows,a nd he has run an electric fence with No. 9 Galvanized wire. It seems to be the exact size, and the strength is outstanding! Looks like this might be the better of the 2 because if you were to get a full back seat full, won't the clothes hanger with bend under pressure and not spring back? This is just a suggestion. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Being it's the back seat, I guess my kids will have to worry about that! I was figuring that the foam would keep the hangers in shape. I wasn't worried about rust because they are coated.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Hi. I know that this topic is old, but I have just come across that same issue and was searching for help. I read your article after learning that you can simply use a regular back seat spring system and modify it to fit perfectly! Before installing it, of course I would bead blast it, ospho it, and then prime and paint it black to preserve it for many more years. Obviously, you should only start out with a nice one, and not one that is about rusted to its life's end.

Hope this helps others as it helped me.

NOW, I only need to get those darn side hinges and top latch! Then I can install the thing. Any one??? I will either trade you some nice and rare parts, OR I will simply agree on a nice price with you and send paypal for it. Let me know. [email protected]

Thanks,
Todd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts