Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I have a short in my 69 Camaro fuse panel on the right side. The wiper fuse immediately blows, and all of the fuses on the right side of the panel have a dead short... the left side prong for the wiper fuse shows more resistance than any of the other ones on that side. While using a multimeter I can put the positive lead to a fuse on the left side of the panel that has 12V active, and can touch any of the fuses on the right side with the negative (black) lead on the multimeter and get a full 12.6V reading..which is not good...basically all the fuses on the right can be used as a ground...meaning a "dead short". Can anyone give me an idea on where to start, or how to identify where in the heck the dead short is that would cause all of the fuses on the right side to be a negative ground.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Well you can carefully remove the fuse panel and inspect the rear side of it and the bulkhead connection.
Your issue is likely on the panel side but could be an issue on the bulkhead connector.

At 50 years old now the insulation on factory wiring harnesses can become brittle and disintegrate without warning.
Rodents also like the taste of factory insulation.

The panel itself may have rusted away on a key connection. If you see surface rust on the fuse clips you will also have it on the rear sided where your leads connect.

Only one supplier sells the fuse panel alone, and it is a daunting task to change out the connections on the rear, most find it easier to replace the entire harness actually.
Some go factory style, others modernize with blade style fuse panels. But with either you get peace-of-mind that the entire wiring harness is new and safe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts