Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
69 camaro was sold with wrong title.Can,t find the previous owner . Is there any way around this. with only having a bill of sale.
-----------------------------------
thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thats a problem you are going to have to ask of your state DMV.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in New york state. Any one ever experience this problem. I would like to get some info on it.Thanks Team Camaro
---------------------------------
69 ,s

·
Registered
464 Posts
if my memory serves me right, in new york if a car is over 10 years old you do not need a title. a bill of sale should be fine. also if you happen to have a copy of the last registration that would help. ask you dmv dept, hope all works out

·
Registered
348 Posts
Titles in NY State started in 1973, any car before that had a transferrable registration. If the person who sold it to you is the last registered owner, all he has to do is go to DMV and say he lost the registration and get a new one.. simple as that

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish it was that easy. The guy who wants to sell me the car has a registration with the wrong vin number on it. He has had the car for 3 yrs.
He can,t get a hold of the guy he bought it from.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to first make sure the car is not stolen by asking your local Hyway Patrol to run the VIN.. also make sure the hidden VIN matches the VIN plate and is in correspondence with the trim tag. Make sure the guy you are buying it from is collectible.. owns a house, has a good reputation and will guarantee the car with a notarized statement so if anything happens you get your money back . Then buy it on a bill of sale and call Broadway Title to get it titled for you properly.
Personally though , I would be inclined to walk .

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to first make sure the car is not stolen by asking your local Hyway Patrol to run the VIN.. also make sure the hidden VIN matches the VIN plate and is in correspondence with the trim tag. Make sure the guy you are buying it from is collectible.. owns a house, has a good reputation and will guarantee the car with a notarized statement so if anything happens you get your money back . Then buy it on a bill of sale and call Broadway Title to get it titled for you properly.
Personally though , I would be inclined to walk .

I really hate to hear these stories, All I can say, Remember Doug. You say the guy "wants to sell you" that car. I would keep looking. Maybe get him to get title sorted out to you and then you will purchase, even if you have to pay for the transfer twice. I would rather be out $100 rather than the price you are gonna pay.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
...Like ChevyThunder mentioned, ...you need to have that car's VIN checked out before you go much further.

...With that said, (I live in NY too) I recently (within the last year) picked up a '67 that had a 'lost registration'. As I'm sure you know, ...cars before '73 have no titles in NY, ...it's the "transferrable" half of the registration that is signed to transfer ownership. Anyway the guy didn't have it, ...and to make a long story short, ...I went to DMV,got all the necessary forms they said I would need, ...and then went to buy the car. I had him sign all the necessary forms and got a bill of sale for the car.
Granted what I was buying was a rusted out, inoperable ($1000) car, not worth a whole lot, ...and NOT something that was a good 'candidate' to be a frauded type of vehicle. (If you're looking at a running driving car and it has the wrong VIN, etc., ...that's a bit of a different story).
Bottom line, ...if the VIN is clean, ...with a little effort you can get the paperwork in order.

Kevin

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What i was looking at was a 69 Z project car.Thats why I kept coming back to the issue. I could prabably go to DMV. I know people there.
The car is real. I,ve been doing them for 20 yrs. I know a fake when I see it.
What bothers me ,is if I go to sell it some day aftyer putting $20,000 into it,there is a chance this problem will surface again.
I neede some closer on this subject,and Kevin ,I want to thank you for that.
I,m going to move on.......Thanks for every-bodys help. Classic- Camaro of NY

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
The seller needs to be the one to resolve the title issue.
I have purchased cars with title issues, but always had the seller fix them before exchanging any money.
I would be suspect of any seller not willing to straiten out an innocent mistake before selling.
Knowing people at the DMV isn't going to fix anything the seller can't fix legally.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just did this with a 68 that has a number left out on the registration. The NYS DMV has no idea what the VINs belong to, it's just a number attached to a car and they don't verify the VIN actually belongs with that car. Heck, my VIN was not even the correct number of characeter - it was missing one. I explained it to the DMV, and it was no problem. I traced the VIN, gave all the paperwork to them, and 6-8 weeks later, had my transferable registration. It takes 6-8 weeks because they send it to Albany to the auto theft group to make sure the VIN isn't stole, is valid, and has the correct character formatting. As long as you have a receipt with the correct VIN, you are OK.

BTW, if you end up passing, could you send me a PM:)

-Dan

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
What does "wrong title" mean anyway?
Is it for a completely different car or have a wrong or missing digit?
Is there a car out there with that VIN that has your title, like the guy sold 2 cars and gave each guy the wrong title?
Have you checked the correct VIN to see if it is registered somewhere or listed as stolen or junked?
It really is not a difficult problem to solve IF eveything is on the up and up, but don't buy until it's resolved.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
In Tennessee, you sign the back of the title to transfer ownership. My car had changed owners twice since the last "official" title transfer, so the front had some girl's name on it, and back was signed by someone other than the guy I was buying it from. The seller, whose wife was a notary, filled out and signed an "improperly signed title" form, and his wife notarized it. I took it, along with the bill of sale (which DMV never looked at) and transferred it to my name. I did it within 1/2 hour of buying the car, as I was expecting a hassle, but no problem at all. Unfortunately, I was in such a rush, I never recorded the name person who last titled it in 83. Doesn't really matter, as it was just a grocery getter, but I it might have been fun to contact her to see if she had any stories to tell.

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
I wish it was that easy. The guy who wants to sell me the car has a registration with the wrong vin number on it. He has had the car for 3 yrs.
He can,t get a hold of the guy he bought it from.

How far off is the number?? Is it just one or two digits reversed?? Or is it the VIN from a totally different Camaro??

·
Registered
354 Posts
I hope it's not totally different - mine was only the one digit. I have the name of a NYS Trooper in the Auto Theft unit and I have the name of a lady that works in Albany that can tell you if it's on the stolen list anywhere. PM me if your interested in the names. I'll also add thay my VIN plate matched both partial VINs - it was the transferable registration that was wrong.

-Dan

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apparently ,the last 3 digits are wrong.........The vin under the blower motor is weak .Paper thin metal. It would have to be replaced. I don,t know
-------------------------------------
confused on what way to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.