Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to put 18 inch wheels on all my tires for my 69 camaro, would 285s be too big? would i have to do any mini wells? not looking to spend much, which would be the best wheel tire combo? looking to have some meat on the back and 18s.

·
Registered
781 Posts
18's - Most guys choose a 275/40/18 for the rear ... (I did) leaves about 1/2 to 3/4" of space in the wells.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A 285 will be tight in a 67-68 Camaro, as they have slightly smaller fender wells than the 69. It is possible with the right backspace on the wheel. Of course, some fender lip trimming is a good idea. You may still get a slight rub in extreme cases, such as going in a steep driveway at an angle, but most everyday driving, you should be Ok.

If going 18's, depending on what kind of wheel you are going with, a 18x9 with a 275 is a great fit. The 275 is only .39" narrower.

What wheels are you looking at getting? We carry a lot of brand, and just let me know if we can help you out any.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
On my 69 I am running 255/45ZR18 on rear and 225/45ZR18 on front. Back spacing is 4.5 on 8 inch wide wheel, Rear is 5.5 on 9.5 inch wide wheel. Mine is lowered 3 inches in back and 2 inches in front. Fronts will rub if making a sharp U-turn. Rears don't rub but had to roll driver's side wheel well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all for your input, i am also unclear as to what tires to get, i live up north and do not drive during the winter but i drive from spring to fall and am looking for a good overall tire that has awesome traction, good longevity, and a fairly cheap price, any suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts