Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Holley Sniper fuel tank kit (included tank and new sending unit) in my 69 with console fuel gauge. The indication appears to work but with error. The gauge reads full until I get down to about 3 or 4 gallons and then it quickly indicates from full to just below half.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
My .02.
Float sticking. Wrong resistance on sending unit. IIRC the console gauge requires some kind of resister on the back. I'm assuming this gauge worked before so I doubt the resistor is gone if it needs one.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
VETJET I have been chasing the same issue.

Console gauges, with external resistor full of fuel reading past full, 1/2 tank is reading empty. Checked all connections, did the harness test to ground etc, no luck. Swapped out my old console gauge for a new one with internal resistor, no change.

I will update you if I find a solution.

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
If you pull the wire at the tank (pink IIRC) and the gauge reads past full and then ground it and the gauge reads below empty you have tested the wiring and gauge. It is working. The problem after that is the sender, sending unit ohms show be 90 ohms when full and zero when empty.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
As mentioned GM used 0 to 90 ohms for our cars. Verify sending unit is s 0 to 90 ohm unit. Make sure ground is good and secure on gas tank strap. ( Stock location)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the same setup, with the pump out of the tank it worked fine to the reading on my console gauge.
After reinstalling into the tank I got different readings.
Carefully watched as putting pump back in tank for the last time and noticed the wire from the pump interfering with the float arm.
Removed again and moved (bent) the wire in a different position and low and behold, it works perfect.
Goes a little past full on full tank but drops accordingly, at half of a tank it takes 8.5 gallons to fill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts