Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sand blasted my hood hinges and need to paint them. I just can't make myself pay $30 for a can of 'correct' color paint from one of the restoration places. Do any of you guys know a Krylon or similiar brand paint that closely resembles the gray phosphate color? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
i got some help here a couple of years ago and to me it looks pretty good. i took some dark gray almost black primer in a rattle can and sprayed the hinges and anything else that got that "look". then took some "bare steel" paint in a rattle can and at a distance of about 14 to 16 inches just fogged the bare steel very lightly over the primer. takes a couple of times to get the "look" right, but it works great. if you don't loke the way it comes out, just re primer it and start over. mine have been painted for a while and they still look good. i guess it depends how much your outin the weather.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Where was your car built? Mine's a Norwood and the hinges were black from day one.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is a Norwood car. I can tell that these hinges had been spray black bombed in the past. Whether they wer originally black or gray, I don't have a clue. It just seems like everyone expects to see gray hinges on a 'restored' 69 Camaro.

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
Maybe someone else has tried this, I have a rattle can of cold zinc galvizing paint. I have tested it on a few scrap pieces of metal and it looks pretty good. Has anyone else tried this paint before? Just wondering before I use it...:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts