Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on forum and many questions.
I have a 69 Camaro SB with factory console 4sp. I want to install LS power and would like a 5 or 6 speed trans. I do not want any floor pan tunnel mods. I am at the reassembly stage and basically need a parts list. I have a SB non a/c heater core and box. Do I need a BB core and cover? I would appreciate input for all of the following.......
Motor and trans mounts that will locate the shifter in factory console.
Trans 5 or 6sp.
power steering gear box for proper clearance.
Header or factory manifold
belt drive system..Alt,pwst
Radiator...

I know with there are adjustments that will need to be made but I am looking for the least amount of cutting and grinding as possible as most of that work is complete.

Thanks..

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Go with the Holley system. Mounts, accessory drive, headers, cross member all designed to work together. You can use sb heater core and cover

Don

Reactions: H20cooled and 130fe

·
14,272 Posts
The SBC Heater core will be tight

You can buy a conversion kit to use a SBC cover with a BBC core

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
The SBC Heater core will be tight

You can buy a conversion kit to use a SBC cover with a BBC core
Tight with Holley mounts?

Don

·
14,272 Posts
Tight with Holley mounts?

Don
I think even with the Holley mount the SBC heater tube will be tight to the head.

I have not tried because most I do have Vintage Air.

Did a 67 without VA and did change the heater core to BBC. Did not use the Holley mounts though. I used a bbc heater core and a kit that works with the SBC box and you don’t have to pull the box to covert

Maybe somebody here has tried SBC box with the Holley swap?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I think even with the Holley mount the SBC heater tube will be tight to the head.

I have not tried because most I do have Vintage Air.

Did a 67 without VA and did change the heater core to BBC. Did not use the Holley mounts though. I used a bbc heater core and a kit that works with the SBC box and you don’t have to pull the box to covert

Maybe somebody here has tried SBC box with the Holley swap?
Holley specifically states that their system works with factory heat and air conditioning.

Don

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Def go with the Holley set up. One word of caution though, I don’t think the Tko shifter will be in the same position as stock 4 speed location.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Def go with the Holley set up. One word of caution though, I don’t think the Tko shifter will be in the same position as stock 4 speed location.
Does Holley have a TKO 5 Speed crossmember? I thought they only supported the Tremec six speed.

Don

·
14,272 Posts
Does Holley have a TKO 5 Speed crossmember? I thought they only supported the Tremec six speed.

Don
I used the crossmember from SST for my TKO600 in my last 69. My others were aftermarket subs.

Fit TKO600 fit the console. The T56 will need an offset shifter

Reactions: H20cooled

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I used the crossmember from SST for my TKO600 in my last 69. My others were aftermarket subs.

Does the header collector line up with the exhaust notch in the crossmember? I’ve seen one case where it was not even close.

Don

Reactions: DT

·
14,272 Posts
Does the header collector line up with the exhaust notch in the crossmember? I’ve seen one case where it was not even close.

Don
Mine lined up. May depend on the Headers used. There was a thread a while back that crossmembers and exhaust was discussed.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Mine lined up. May depend on the Headers used. There was a thread a while back that crossmembers and exhaust was discussed.
It does depend on the headers used. This is precisely why I recommended using the entire Holley system. Everything works together with no fit issues etc. Once you deviate from the system you are on your own when issues arise.

Don

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I just installed an LS3 and Tremec 6 speed. I used Holley motor mounts, Holley Blackheart long tube headers, and the Holley Crossmember. I have a new PS gear box from Detroit speed. I did convert to Vintage Air with their front runner kit. Everything fit great and install was very easy. One thing to be aware of, that Holley does address, is that if you have a stock subframe, the headers are different than if you use a DS subframe. I installed a DS quadralink, so I have to make some modifications to their header back system to make it work. Minor, but not out of the box fit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts

Don
They do not. I used the Hurst Driveline x member. Header/collector issues with this x member. I originally had the SST x member and returned it because a member on here had issues with interference. After having both the SST and Hurst x members, I would say stay with the SST one if using a TKO 5 speed.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts

Holley mounts fit original 4 speed hole??

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
They do not. I used the Hurst Driveline x member. Header/collector issues with this x member. I originally had the SST x member and returned it because a member on here had issues with interference. After having both the SST and Hurst x members, I would say stay with the SST one if using a TKO 5 speed.
I was actually just talking to SST about this yesterday. Jeff said their crossmember will not work with the location of the Holley mounts and the shifter location will be off. I was going to go TKO 600 but now I might get the Holley cross and go T56.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I was actually just talking to SST about this yesterday. Jeff said their crossmember will not work with the location of the Holley mounts and the shifter location will be off. I was going to go TKO 600 but now I might get the Holley cross and go T56.
I was not concerned with the shifter location as I have a brand new 1 piece floor. I just cut a new hole. If you go with the long tube headers you prob will experience collector interference with the Hurst Driveline X member and perhaps with the SST one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Holley system has worked well for a few of you here. Has anyone used the entire system with a factory console? If yes with which trans was used?

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I was not concerned with the shifter location as I have a brand new 1 piece floor. I just cut a new hole. If you go with the long tube headers you prob will experience collector interference with the Hurst Driveline X member and perhaps with the SST one.
Same here with a new floor but I want to use the stock console to keep the appearance. My quote from SST is almost identical for the T56, so I'll go that route and use the Holley crossmember. That way I've stayed with the whole Holley system and hopefully have fewer headaches. I gues we'll see......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts