Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. The problem I'm having is that I put a big block in a small block car. I changed the tranny crossmember to one for a 400 (Was a 350). I also changed the frame mounts to big block mounts. The engine sits on the frame and the pulley also sits on the front rail. I'm using a long water pump and pulleys. I'm putting some pics up to show what I'm up against. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Be careful not to bend your pulley. What is preventing the holes from lining up on the motor mounts? It looks like things would clear if the passenger side were lifted up a little and the whole thing shifted right to line up the holes. Try getting one hole lined up and put that bolt in. Then you can maybe move your chain around and play with the other side. I know that sounds easier than it actually is. Engine installs are never easy, but I know a Texan can do it!

To keep perspective, sometimes I like to ask myself how many cars GM has built since I started my engine swap.

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
I agree with Kevin, your engine needs to come up on the pass side. Support the engine with the hoist and remove the cross member then just slowly lift the engine until you can get the bolts in the mounts.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Yes agree with above.... You will need a couple of buddy's and move that cross member out of the way until you get the bolts in the motor mounts first. Possibly using a floor jack under the trans with a nice cushion of course and raise it up as you get one hole lined up (driver side first if possible) and install the bolt the other side you may need to use a philip's screw driver to help you line up the hole and as your buddy's are lowering or raising the motor to help line the hole up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. It looks like that in the pics. I tried to move it to the passenger side and line up the bolts but the engine won't go down far enough because the pan is sitting on the frame. The oil pan has about 4 inches from top to bottom in the front so I think the pan is OK and not the wrong one. Is there a set of motor mounts that will bring up the engine?? Everything seems to be lining up great except that the engine is sitting on the frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I thought the motor mounts were wrong also. I ordered some Moroso solid mounts # 62515 and hope that will take care of the problem.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Look like the wrong motor mounts to me.....
Agree.
Ya know, Classic sells a complete BBC interlocking kit for less than a hundred bucks. Looks just like the ones on my car.:thumbsup: (original)
And I'm sure you replaced those SBC springs with stiffer ones. Right? Iron heads are a load.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Me thinks you have the wrong frame stands. Yours are way shorter than mine... pic#1 is a small block stand 1 1/2" from frame to bottom of arch (bolt goes above it} pic#2 is my drivers side & measures 2" . pic#3 is pass side and is 1 3/4". I have a full inch between my pan and the crossmember. Kits aren't always correct... the motor mount itself has no effect on height. For the record my mounts are urethane hi-po's but I don't remember from where. You can see yours are way shorter, hence the problem...

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
Thanks. It looks like that in the pics. I tried to move it to the passenger side and line up the bolts but the engine won't go down far enough because the pan is sitting on the frame. The oil pan has about 4 inches from top to bottom in the front so I think the pan is OK and not the wrong one. Is there a set of motor mounts that will bring up the engine?? Everything seems to be lining up great except that the engine is sitting on the frame.
So the engine is high on the left (standing in front looking down on the engine), low on the right, the pan is on the frame rail and the cross member is is providing a fixed connection. It still sounds like the engine is cocked toward the driver side and needs to be lifted up, leveled and set back down. You still need to remove the cross member so the engine and trans assembly can move freely on the hoist until you have the mount bolts in.

See if this will help you with the frame mounts... http://www.camaros.org/engine.shtml#EngineMounting

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think you have the wrong frame mounts. I have found there is some confusion out there as to the right mounts.

Here are pics and measurements of the BB frame mounts on a '68 that I switched from small-block to big-block.

Driver side mount (from front)

Passenger side mount (from front)

Hope this helps.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Guys, I hate to jump in the middle of this, but... The 67,68 Big Block frame mounts are different than the 1969. The small block frame mounts are different than the Big Block mounts. You need the following... Do you have these ?

1) 1969 big bock frame mounts. This will offset the engine, 1" towards the Passenger side.
2) 1969 "Tall and Narrow engine mounts (They are the same as a 350 or a 302)
3) Big Block transmission crossmember. This moves the transmission to the passenger side 1/2" and 3/4" forward.

David Pozzi has mount information on his web page.

http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_engine.htm

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
And here is a look at original, never been unbolted, 69 BBC frame mounts. Disregard the crud. I pulled the engine to clean stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys. The frame mounts are shorter than the ones I took off. They say the 69 is all by itself as far as frame mounts go. The trans crossmember, headers etc. all fall into place and line up great with these mounts. I just don't have enough height. I tilited the motor over to the pass. side but it will not bolt up because it is sitting on the frame. I may go to 68 frame stands if I can't get the solid mounts to work. They seem to mbe taller than the ones I just put in.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
The '69 has shorter frame mounts, because it has taller engine mounts. It is very common to get 67-68 engine mounts, when you want the 69's. Many places like Auto Zone don't have the correct numbers in their books. They sometimes put the wrong part in the box, also ! Measure the thickness of your engine mounts... they are probably the wrong ones.

Tall and Narrow 1969

1. Driver's side is 2.5 inches from base to the top of the bracket. It measures 1.75 inches from base to center of the bracket bolt hole.
2. The passenger side bracket measures 2.0 inches from the base to the top of the bracket. It measures 1&3/8 inches from the base to the center of the bracket bolt hole.
3. Width is approximately 2 5/16"

Short and wide 67 -68

1. Driver's side is 2 15/16 inches from base to the top of the bracket.
2. The passenger side bracket measures 2 1/2 inches from the base to the top of the bracket.
3. Width is approximately 2 9/16"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts