·
Registered
6,513 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark,

here is the model # of my 8 track 7305221 68 Camaro Multiplex Tape. It is hooked up with a blue light multiplex radio. Now I need to know where the switch mounts as this dose exist as for I have this hooked up in the car right now. I just dont know where the multiplex switch mounts. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
OK Dora. Here's my 8 track. See a switch? You won't because there's no such animal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny that there is no switch as I have one in my car. Since you dont know about this switch you need to call Ricks First Generation Camaro and ask for tech support as I did and they have one of these switches. There phone # is 1-800-359-7717.
Regards

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Funny that there is no switch as I have one in my car. Since you dont know about this switch you need to call Ricks First Generation Camaro and ask for tech support as I did and they have one of these switches. There phone # is 1-800-359-7717.
Regards
Why don't you call Ricks and order a factory assembly manual?
It will show you where to mount all of the factory switches and is very helpful for any Camaro owner.
P. 415 in my 68 AIM shows exactly where to drill all 5 holes in the console lid.
Of course this may not be correct for a 69, as others have said.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
I'll check your part number when I get home to see what its from.

There is no separate switch for a multiplex 8 track unit in either 68 or 69 "FROM THE FACTORY" Now maybe a dealer found a switch that allows a non mulitplex unit to work with the multiplex radio and adapted it to fit an application. The 68 multiplex radio has a switch box with 4 knobs and a stereo lamp that get mounted in the door of the console compartment, but that isn't used with an 8 track unit. The 68 multiplex 8 track (another special unit) controlled the tone, balance , etc of the multiplex unit with the knobs on the 8 track player.

I'll put up the connection diagram for the T400 (the one that mounts under the dash on a non console car) tonight that shows how a multiplex unit is hooked to an 8 track, as I don't think I have one for the console mounted version (but i'll look). The only difference between this one and the console mounted one is the extra harness for the heat sink.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The part number you have is for a 68 multiplex 8 track. Heres the connection diagram for the 69 system.

Heres the 68 connection diagram:

Neither setup has a switch, and the 68 setup has a special cable with 11 pin connectors on each end, that I don't think is compatible with a 69 multiplex unit.

Heres the multiplex adapter (left side of the photo) that goes between the tape deck and the radio. This gets mounted to the right of the steering column on a 68 Camaro.

The knobs on the 8 track control the features of the multiplex unit in 68. They don't in 69 the two systems were completely separate and only shared a connection to the cars speakers which was switched by a switch inside the 8 track unit that switched the 8 track on, the radio off, and connected the speakers to the 8 track output when you put a tape into the player. It switched the 8 track off, the radio on and connected the radio to the speakers when you pulled the tape out. If you have a 68 setup hooked to a 69 multiplex its obviously not factory and you can put the switch you have where ever you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mark thanks for all your help when I get back home I will send you a picture of the switch and the set up and the part # of the switch for your referance. I have a early built Z/28 and it came with this car. The car was a basket case. But had this 8 track set up in it. The car is a 12A (1969) from Van Nuys.
thanks

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
If you have documentation that your car left the factory with a separate switch, everyone here, including Mark will be all ears. However, the fact that the system was there as you described when you received your basket case, is not proof that it left the factory that way.

I have no issue with Rick's, as I have been there many times, and spent many dollars there. However, I'd say the collective expertise here is head and shoulders above the collective experience at Rick's or any other resto house.

Also, you are new here, so I wouldn't expect you to know this. But when Mark C says something, you can bank on it. He's not the only one, but he's the one trying to help you on this subject.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
I could see it from home this AM, but not from work. My firewall blocks out about 50% of images posted. I think it depends on what type of location online the file is stored at as to whether or not the company firewall blocks it or not. I can't even see the images in my post from work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.