Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing the steering box in my 1969 Camaro soon. I am also considering replaing the pittman at the same time. The car is an original SS car that has been drag raced for 15 years, then made into a pro street car. I already have purchased the steering box, and was wondering if the pittman arm is the same for a power steering car and a manual steering car? I have concerns over what this component has gone through up to this time. The car was a super stock "A" car, and would pull the wheels regularly off the ground during launch, and is not a light car.
Your asistance would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Bill Sampson

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
if the pittman arm is the same for a power steering car and a manual steering car?
Nope...and there are all sorts of lengths and stuff
Went thru the process a few months back...using the seach function and asking further questions in these forums
O have ended up using a slightly different length, and as advised see no difference.
From memory there where some length / short long axle link lenth issues???
Run a forum seach for my old posts/question about 6/9 months ago.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Be sure to match the pitman to the idler. Bump-steer will be an issue if they're different lengths. Mine are just a little off and I can feel it at speed in a corner. It's kind of twitchy. (is that a word?)

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
That was a concern I had, and has something to do with the legth of the control arms on the hub....I can bury the car into a cnr just as well as before..maybe a little better now.
Could be also got the caster/chamber toe all reset at the time...thu it had not been long before it was reset.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Big Fred,..in 69, I believe there was only one size (length) idler. It was tweener if I'm not mistaken,..between the length of the fast ratio (longer) Pitmans and slow (shorter).

I've always found this to be very odd. In 67, I believe they matched the length of the Pitmans with the idler regardless. Don't know about 68.

What were the engineers (who are much smarter than me) thinking when they went to a one-size fits all idler in 69?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts