Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1969 camaro. At this point, it needs a paint job and interior. It has a 454 crate engine in it. It has a 10 bolt rear end with 3:23 gear ratio. Are these gears good for performance? I want to be able to get off pretty fast but also be able to drive on the highway. Also, is the rearend strong enough to support the power? Let me know. thank you

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Re: 69 Camaro reear end/gears

If it's the stock 8.2" rear, you might want to consider throwing it in the garbage if that 454 puts out any decent power, and upgrading to an 8.5" 10-bolt or even a 12-bolt. The 3.23's won't be the greatest for getting off the line, but they'll be better on the highway than your other choices- it's a balancing act. Do you know if it has a posi unit?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

I have had so many engine and rear end combos. At the end of the day its either performance or gas mileage. Pick one or the other. There is no happy medium. This is all assuming you are running old school technology.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts

A 454 should have enough torque to push those 3.23's pretty well. I think I would leave them there.
I agree. 3.23s would be a decent gear for cruising around on the street... especially with an auto trans or low geared manual. Most guys aren't too confident about the 8.2" rear end holding up. It all comes down to traction. If you get good traction, the 454 will probably make quick work of destroying a 8.2" rear end. If you don't get traction, it will probably last a long time. I'd use it for now, and see how you like the gearing. Once you've decided on gearing, I'd be looking for a replacement for when the 8.2" lets go.

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts

Just noticed this is your first post and from MA. Welcome aboard!
Show us a pic of your car so we can recognize you at cruises.:beers:

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
There is no 3.23 for the 8.2 10 bolt, so if you actually have a 3.23 then you have the 8.5 10 bolt. If you have the 8.5 then someone did you a big favor by swapping out the 8.2 for the stronger 8.5.

You didn't say what transmission you have, but the 3.23 would be a great all around gear for the average 454.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you measure/know if you have the 8.2" or the 8.5" 10-bolt? Also, if i were to upgrade to a 12 bolt, would you reccomend changing the gears? Also what does a 12-bolt rear end cost usually? thank you for all the help

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Post a picture of the rear end, Guys can ID it from that.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,354 Posts
This should help you identify the differential:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think my best bet is too finish the car, drive it, and see what i like? Or do you definitely think i need a 12 bolt? Thank you

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You're likely to quickly find out its an open diff, so you'll get zero traction with the 454. If it turns out to be a posi, I'd run it for a while and see what you think about the response and highway manners with the 3.23's- that'll help you figure out if you want to change to a different gear ratio later with whatever rear you choose.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I say finish it and see how it drives, find out for sure what gears you have and then save money and go with an 8.5 posi with the same gears if you like them or change the gear ratio.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
You still need to find out what gear ratio you have. The 3.23 was not a 8.2 gear, so whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about. You could have a 2.73, 3.08, 3.36, 3.55 or 3.73 in there, but not a 3.23.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
If your curiosity gets the better of you,just pull the cover off and count the teeth on the ring and pinion.It should also be stamped on the side of the ring gear.You could jack up the car and count the revolutions of the tires compared to the revolutions of the driveshaft and that will give you a general idea what ratio you might have. I would run it until you break it. I agree with the others, it will last a while if you are not hooking up. You will have to go by the seat of your pants feel to decide if you want more gear or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts