Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i used to have a 69 Camaro and i had a 350 in it and stuff, it was built and had a 4 speed tranny. but i got rear ended really bad, and it was totalled. so now i cant find any camaro bodies that i can afford, but my brother has a 77 nova with a 305 in it that he would give me, no charge. i was wondering, what are the differences in the gears and weight and all that in the nova and camaro. i like the looks of the camaro a lot more but if the nova wouldnt be much slower i might go with it....

well thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The weights will be very close. Rear end gearing is a different story though. Most 305/350 equipped 77 novas came with 2.56 gears, although some had the "performance axle option" of 2.73 or 3.08. The gearing problem isnt that big of a deal though...its changed easily enough. If you have any particular questions about the nova, let me know...I am neck deep into one right now

------------------
'78 chevy truck-355, 9.4-1, vortec heads, XE268, vortec rpm intake, 750 edelbrock, flowtech headers and terminators.

'77 Nova-slowly progressing project.

'78 Nova-parts car?

'95 Lumina 3.4L DOHC 210hp daily driver

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the real beauty of a 77 nova is that you can use almost any mechanical part that is made for a 71-81 camaro or firebird. suspension, brakes, rear ends,exhaust.hell,take a whole subframe out of a Z/28 or Trans Am with the ws6 suspension...rear disc brake rear ends...all factory junkyard finds.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

·
Registered
234 Posts
The only thing worse than having your doors handed back to you by a Camaro is having them handed back to you by a nova.

Most folks now don't have a clue what a nova is. Or if they see one they assume grandma's driving it. Most folks can come up with an excuse for losing to a Camaro, but the nova is different.

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Pete,
Great car. I've always liked the 68-72 body especially without the body side moldings. I'm thinking about a 70 body right now that I have been talking to the owner about buying. With your gears and motor you should have no problems gettin in the 12s if it hooks up. The OLD magazine articles I've read were testing 427 first gen Camaros and the 396 Novas were out running them with similar mods. Nova is just a tough little no nonsense car. Hey the scenary around your place looks pretty nice too witht the palm trees and all, I can't show it to my wife or she'll remind me how I haven't taken her down there for a couple years now.
Dave

·
Registered
177 Posts
Dave,
Thanks for the compliments. A bunch of people have told me my combo will get into the 12s on motor- I just have to finish a few more things to be legal and then it's off to Moroso to see.
It is beautiful down here...75 begrees today and balmy breezes. I'm originally from New York but I can't function in cold weather.
Too many years in the Carribean

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Pete,
Moroso is a great facility. I have been there many times. That's one of the reasons I like Singer Island. My wife can lay on the beach all day and on Wednesday nights and the weekend we go to Moroso to watch the drags. Sometimes we luck out and hit the big Chevy show in March. It sure is out in the middle of nowhere, but it's a nice facility.

Man I miss the beach and A1A.
You're a lucky guy to be down there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok im putting in the engine this thursday. it has a 305 in it right now, but im putting in a 350. someone told me something about the driveshaft being short or something when you put a 350 in, is this true? well i think that is it.

·
Retired
26,647 Posts
If all you are doing is swapping engines than nothing needs to be done to the drive shaft. If you are using a different tranny along with the new engine then things change...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the rest of the camaro...well.......there isnt much left. i gutted out what was left of the interior, took off the hood and stuff. and someone is buying the disk breaks off the front. but everything else on it is still up for grabs if anyone wants it...

i have a good passenger side door, passenger seat, hood, right front fender, front grill and bumper and that section is good. 3 good rally wheels, saganol 4 speed transmission, rear end might be good on it too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Racerfoo, you might want to contact BC... He's got a 73 Nova and already has started to trick that one out with parts from the boneyard! I know that he's put a 350 w/ 700R4 overdrive. We just shagged a new posi and 3:42 gears from the boneyard 2 weekends ago and I know he's done a brake conversion to 11" drums in the rear and some heavy duty rotors in the front. All parts from other vehicles, but cool combanations all them same! He knows what you can take from different vehicles and make em work well!

Good luck

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
402cid BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro

[This message has been edited by 67 Prostreet (edited 12-14-2001).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
i can help with the weight question. i have a 76' with 0 options. it does have power steering. thats it. i added a 350/th350 and it weighs 3513 with me in it (195#) and 1/2 tank of gas. i still cant believe it, i thought it would be a hog with all the chrome on it!

does anyone know of a website for 73-up novas? i'm really getting into these but cant find any sites on them!
thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I still remember, in the early 70's, a friend bought a 396/375 HP Nova. Very cool. I think they're the sleeper of the century.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts