Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine has a set of centerlines there 17x8 with a 5inch backspace im wounding if that is to much backspace for my camaro i have 4 wheel disc brakes if that makes a difference

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: 69 camaro wheel backspace ????

I'm no expert but from what I've read most run 4.75 back spacing on a 8" wheel. Hopefully Dennis will chime in & confirm this.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I am running 18x9.5 with 5.5 back space on the rear. Fit like a glove but did have to roll the fenders a bit.

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
Ideal with an 8" wheel is 4.75" backspacing. On the back it shouldn't be a problem with 5" backspacing but the front your lock to lock turning will have the tire rubbing on the inside more than you want if you push the tire width at all. Look at the chart and what ever wheel size shoot for a 6 (positive) offset and cross reference for correct backspacing. From personal experience and a lot of observation it seems a 6 offset just about centers the wheel and tire in the wheel well on a 1st gen. Factory Z/28 ralleys were a 6 offset (4.25" bs) front and rear as well. Even with 4 wheel disc's it seems to be the best starting point. After installing my rear disc's I took a little off the fender lip and life is good back there...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks Dennis for the info i'll probably pass on the wheels and wait till im ready to order proper set

1 - 5 of 5 Posts