Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Camaro has a 10 bolt rear end from 72 Novo. I have installed new axels and have disc brakes. Many post say a 17x9.5 with 5.5 backspacing is the most common that will fit without rubbing the outer fenders. Does anyone know what changing the rear end from stock will change the measurements?

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
17x9.5 with 5.5 backspacing will fit, I doubt it is the most common but it's the widest wheel with the least modifications needed to fit wide tires.

The axle flange with the studs mounted in it is the surface the wheel use to bolt to with drum brakes. With a disc conversion the rotor gets pushed on to the flange then the wheel goes on. You just added the thickness of each rotor hat to the equation on each side.

You might not have to trim or roll the fender lip with drum brakes but once you do a disc conversion you'll want to. You might experience scuffing the inner fender with drums and will gain clearance with disc's.

All of the above is of course if you are running 275/40 or 255/45 17 tires on the wheel size you stated.

more from me on this... http://www.camaros.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2329546&postcount=4

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yup, I have 18x9.5 and had to roll the driver side fender. Mine is lowered 3" and the wheels tuck in nicely all the way to the rim. NO rubbing in the rear.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great. Thank guys.
I am working with a dealer know to order some American Racing Torq Thrust custom two-piece rims. Satin black centers and chrome outers.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Your Nova rear is the same dimensions as original so it should work. That was the question I think?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts