Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading several posts on this subject, I purchased The AAW Classic Update series wiring harness kit (complete wiring kit - 1969 Camaro). I was only looking at AWW and M&H.

http://www.americanautowire.com/shop/complete-wiring-kit-1969-camaro

Started to install - had dash harness, taillight harness, installed and started working on engine harness. This is where I ran into some issues.

Apparently you cannot use this kit if going with factory alternator and ammeter (gauge in console). I have been informed if I want to continue to use this harness, I must replace the alternator (to internal regulated) and the ammeter gauge in the console will not be able to be used.:mad:

AWW informed me, I must now purchase their OE style harness kits if I want to use original style components. M&H sells similar, but has the upgraded fuses. For safety reasons - thinking about going with M&H. Has anyone used their harness kits or should I stay with AWW?

Also - I will be selling the AWW complete kit (did not split any wires, so like new). Paid $625, but will let go for $500 (free shipping). PM me if interested.

·
14,104 Posts
I don't understand your safety concerns.

The ammeter in the console has full battery power through and a volt meter is better and safer.

Changing out the alt is not expensive and you will probably end up with a higher amperage.

·
Registered
913 Posts
X2 what John said, I wish I went that route at the beginning of my build. By the time I went through my car, I basically ended up changing all the wiring (except under the dash) using OEM harnesses, time I got done I spent more than going your route. And now I wish I had upgraded to modern fuse box and altenator. Makes adding modern addtions much easier that trying to find comparable connections on the OEM system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John,

Thanks. I guess I should have clarified on the safety front - with M&H I was thinking of going with new fuse box (ATC) blade type fuses as opposed to older style glass body type. I plan to keep the original gauges in the console (not change from ammeter to volt meter). I don't think there is a way to use the AW harness, but keep the ammeter functional.

I can see why the issue with ammeter though - having full battery power passing through - sure hope everything is grounded properly.

Mike

·
14,104 Posts
John,

Thanks. I guess I should have clarified on the safety front - with M&H I was thinking of going with new fuse box (ATC) blade type fuses as opposed to older style glass body type. I plan to keep the original gauges in the console (not change from ammeter to volt meter). I don't think there is a way to use the AW harness, but keep the ammeter functional.

I can see why the issue with ammeter though - having full battery power passing through - sure hope everything is grounded properly.

Mike
Classic Update does have the new ATC Bladed Type fuses.

And it's relatively easy run a wire to use the existing ammeter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts