Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Our 69 Camaro has a new battery, lights and power work(radio, wipers, turn singals), I turn the key and get it to crank but it doesn't appear to be turning over.

It looks like based on what I've read, it's 1 of 3 issues, the solenoid, the ignition, or the starter. I've attached a video trying to start it in case that helps anyone identify the issue or what I could try first.

Thanks so much in advance for any assistance.

1968 Camaro LS swap, TH350 FMFVB, 5000 stall, 12 bolt w/ 35 spline and spooled 4.10's
21,231 Posts
Make sure you have a good ground from motor to frame and battery as well as wires on starter hooked up correctly.

What has been done before the no start condition... it was running before ?

· Registered
1,314 Posts
Did try the last ditch effort of fuel, same issue.

I have not checked the spark plugs, or spark to it(not sure how yet) but will youtube it and get back to y'all.

Here's some pics, is that flap supposed to be stuck open like that?
View attachment 298671 View attachment 298676
View attachment 298670 View attachment 298671 View attachment 298673
No, the choke plate is supposed to be closed on a cold engine. As it warms up, opens a little bit, then a little more.

· Premium Member
'68 396 SS/RS, '02 SS
237 Posts
No, the choke plate is supposed to be closed on a cold engine. As it warms up, opens a little bit, then a little more.
Even with the choke plate not functioning correctly I would suspect it would still try to fire, if only run momentarily.

Cranking the engine is when the engine turns over. When you rotate the ignition switch to start and nothing happens it is not turning over (cranking). Is the engine turning over?
Can you see fuel spray in the carburetor bore when you move the throttle lever? If so, then I would suspect you are not getting fire/spark. You need to verify that you are getting spark to the plugs. To do this remove a plug, ground the tip of the plug (ex., laying on the exhaust manifold) with plug wire connected, crank the engine and see if you have spark at the electrode.

· Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Pull a plug wire and stick a screwdriver in the wire "socket" and hold the metal close to ground, get a friend to crank the engine and if you see a spark (or) your hair stands up then you have ignition. ;)

Reactions: yellow69RS

· Registered
797 Posts
You can check for spark with a timing light if you have one. If not the screw driver or just a gap between the end of the coil wire and the cap should give you spark.
Pull the throttle lever back as you watch to see if the accelerator pump shoots fuel into the front venturi. If not, you can fill the front bowl with gas thru the vent on the bowl using a squirt bottle or other bottle. Check for accelerator pump shot again.
Pull back on the throttle lever and force the choke plate closed leaving an 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch gap at the front. Have someone try to start the engine while you hold the choke plate closed. An electric choke will open when power has been applied long enough even on a cold engine. I like the divorced choke as it depends on engine heat to open.
If you have spark and fuel, it should fire and hopefully run.

· Registered
1967 RS Camaro / 1968 RS Camaro
30 Posts
Sounds to me like you don't have the 2 essentials. Gas and Spark.
Sooooo, Look down the Carb and move the throttle see if you have gas going in?? <-- If no Gas WHY (Tank Empty/ Fuel pump No work??)
If Gas is Shooting out of the pump nozzle then YES, you have GAS.. Move to step #2.
#2. Spark --> Check your one plug lead to the HEI distributor, is it Connected??? <-- YES Move to step #3.
#3. Pull a plug wire off and see if you have spark??? YES Then it should start ---> If "NO" then your HEI module is shot.
Change the HEI Module out and it will start.
OR
Change distributors to a BETTER Distributor.

· Registered
1,314 Posts
Hey all,

Our 69 Camaro has a new battery, lights and power work(radio, wipers, turn singals), I turn the key and get it to crank but it doesn't appear to be turning over.

It looks like based on what I've read, it's 1 of 3 issues, the solenoid, the ignition, or the starter. I've attached a video trying to start it in case that helps anyone identify the issue or what I could try first.

Thanks so much in advance for any assistance.
That’s a no spark or no fuel issue.
How did it get to the garage?
When was the last time it ran?

16,879 Posts
In your video when you crank the engine I see no movement of your tach needle.

This would lead me to believe it's an ignition issue.

Not Wired Correct
Bad Coil
Bad Ignition Module

16,879 Posts
Based on the last video posted it is obvious you do not understand how the various components function and work together to achieve starting, running and tuning an ICE engine.

My suggestion is to find a good mechanic or someone knowledgeable to assist you.

The suggestions made about pouring gas, having someone hold the choke plate etc. work well for people experienced and knowledgeable with these things.

Encouraging novices to do so can be very dangerous. Backfires, burning your face and hands or possibly burning the car up along with the garage and house could be the consequence.

Nobody mentioned have a fire extinguisher on hand?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Based on the last video posted it is obvious you do not understand how the various components function and work together to achieve starting, running and tuning an ICE engine.

My suggestion is to find a good mechanic or someone knowledgeable to assist you.

The suggestions made about pouring gas, having someone hold the choke plate etc. work well for people experienced and knowledgeable with these things.

Encouraging novices to do so can be very dangerous. Backfires, burning your face and hands or possibly burning the car up along with the garage and house could be the consequence.

Nobody mentioned have a fire extinguisher on hand?
This is very true, I do not understand various and/or basic components lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts