Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
69 Clock Bulb too long

Hi All, another dilemma !

Last night, I am installing my Instrument Panel/ Dash Cluster with my Son.
Things are going “Slower” than I thought – Right ?
Took ½ hour to take apart, 5 hours to try and get back together.

Last thing was to install the 194 Bulb in the Clock Bulb Socket and “twist” into the Top of my New Clock, would not fit. Took the Bulb out and it goes in and Locks, so my Son said “get the Old Clock and see if it fits in there”.
I did and same thing, the Bulb hits the Green Lens.

I saw another Bulb P/N of 168, looked that up on the Net and it said they are the Same dimensional size, Just Brighter.

Is there a “shorter” Bulb used for the Clock.
The Socket is a whiteish color and what came out of my car, not spliced in. Original Clock/ Tach and Console Guages.

Thanks for any help.
Timmy

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
194's are bayonet base. they do not twist.

The idiot lights and turn signals use 194.

The bulb you want is 168 for the clock and instrument illumination.

Consoles use 1445's for the automatic selectors.

Console Gauges use 1816

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
That is too funny Timmy, I thought that I was the only one that encountered that problem. I have never heard of anyone else having that problem besides me. I too looked at the 168 bulb and it was the same size. Is there a "specific" 168 bulb that needs to be used? I could not get the socket to fully engage when I replaced the bulb years ago, and I thought it was just me. Let me know if you have any luck finding the correct bulb and where you got it from so that I can fix mine as well.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Shoot a picture of the bulb housing and socket so we can actually see what you have.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Matt and Brian

Took a few Pics, went to Autozone, Advanced Auto yesterday, Radio Shack today and still looking thru the Net - Nothing.

Also contacted Sylvania Customer Service and spoke with a Girl there. She said she would get with some of the Senior (Older) guys and see if they had any answers.

The 194 Bulb in the Socket measures about 13/16 .810" long.

The Depth of both my New and Old Clock is about .705" so I am like .100" too long which is seen in Both Pictures where I have the Bulb/ Socket into the New Clock and Old Clock.

I did find on eBay an LED 194 Bulb, For $6.00, I'll see if it is any shorter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170877302734?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Timmy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Al
The 2 other Sockets are Black and have the harnesses have the Black Plastic Clips that go into the back of the Instrument Housing/ Carrier.

I can only say of the several variables, I have had this car for like 15 years, 13 of them under a Car Cover.

My Son also took the dash apart like 2 years ago, I did not take any Pictures and the 2 wires/ White Socket came out of my harness along with the 2 Clock wires where they would drop off for the Clock and the Harness was wrapped for the entire length - I would say I did not see anything that would point me to think this was not a Stock Setup.

Picture is of my Harness when I had it laying in, White Plug in Red Circle.

I will look at that - Swapping that Clock to the Speedo or Tach and seeing if I can get the Black one to the Clock Hole.

Great observation, not trying to rewrite the Book, just get this car done this Spring.
Timmy

Attachments

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
That's the same black socket I used for the center fuel. If the clock is the same setup as center fuel, it should work with either of the wedge bulbs you were talking about. The white socket will also work in the speedo or tach. The black is not a 1/4 turn BTW. My harness has been spliced into many times - I have no idea what it's supposed to look like!

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK Al,

Good thinking “outside the box”
Sometimes I get too Tunnel Vision with how I want to do things, I don’t see the obvious :eek:

And for me, it’s not like anyone will be able to look in there and say, “that’s not correct”, I will just move that to the Speedo or Tach.

Again, I did not take that apart, my Son did.
And my car is all original SS/RS as far as the Clock/ Tach and Wire Harness (Not like this was added), could have been just something unique that happened at the Harness manufacturing shop.

Also, Matt from Florida, Post # 3 said he had the same problem with his Clock light.

Thanks for the Ideas.
Timmy

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Been a long time but if I remember right the white socket should have the hole bored in it for fiber optic ashtray light. This should have been installed on the top of the right hand pod - fuel or tachometer. In any event there should be enough slack to reroute it.

In vehicles I have helped owners add center fuel or clock to that did not have either from the factory, the AAW clock harness comes with the instrument lamp circuit included so we never dug into the wrapping to find the unused socket. You plug it into the fused BAT option slot on the fuse panel for the clock and the second leg takes the dimmer feed LPS on the panel to power and dim the socket. The socket AAW supplies fits. You should also be able to remove the white and replace with generic one bought at the HELP section of the big box auto parts place in your neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread. Anyone else find the 194 bulb too long to engage the white socket on a AAW harness..?? Is there a shorter bulb for this? Is the 168 the correct bulb, and is it shorter?

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
194's are bayonet base. they do not twist.

The idiot lights and turn signals use 194.

The bulb you want is 168 for the clock and instrument illumination.

Consoles use 1445's for the automatic selectors.

Console Gauges use 1816

Alright, I followed this and solved all issues.
Thanks again TC...!!!

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
All, just for reference to put this thread to rest, Brian has it right. The white socket goes above the tach on the right side of the carrier. The two black sockets go over the speedometer and the center fuel gauge/clock. I assumed that the two black sockets went on either side of the dash carrier and the odd ball white one went to the center. Swap the white socket to the tach and the black socket to the center and the problem goes away. They are different enough that the bulb sits slightly lower in the black socket allowing it to fit securely above the clock/fuel gauge in the center. The reason for the white socket to the right above the tach is because that is where the fiberoptic ashtray light was plugged into and fed from if the option was ordered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts