Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car about 5 weeks ago and I thought I would start a build thread. This may be a slow one to follow, I am not sure how fast it will go. I will do all the work myself. I had a 69 23 years ago, I cant believe it was that long ago. I drove that car for 11 years. It was garnet red. Me and my wife dated in that car. I have wanted another one for quite awhile, but they cost a lot. This one was for sale locally. When we went to look at it , I looked at the cowl tag and I said to my wife, guess what color it was, she said garnet red? I said yes. I really didn't want to work this hard on one, but I feel blessed to have it and can build it the way I want it. It didn't come with a sub frame or rear end but I have a 72 Nova 4 door parts car that I bought to use to design front spoilers for my business. I was going to get rid of it when I was done but now I will use the sub frame for the Camaro.

Today I cut the top off. It was not rusted but it was bent and warped.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Great start Randy - straight in with the cut-off wheel! What are your build plans - to recreate your "dating" car :)yes:), clone something or go pro-touring?

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Great find Randy.My car is a code 52 also.I love the color.With the million plus shades of red out there,I have always loved the depth of Garnet Red. Keep the pics coming.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Looks like you know what you are doing. I'm sure this will be a good one to watch. Good to see another Arkansas camaro being built and good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Nice find Randy! conrats:beers: on a chance to re-create a past memory for you both. That's cool...:cool: subscribed to the thread just now!:yes:

Great to witness another '69 getting a makeover! :yes:

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I finished removing the edges of the roof, front and back and in the drip rails. Yesterday my panels came in, I bought AMD parts. As far as plans for the car. It will be Garnet red with standard black interior. Not sure about wheels, I have some rallys I might use. I have a 350 engine that I can build for it.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not had a chance lately to work on the project. Today I did some sandblasting. Its been a long time since I have done any sandblasting, I forgot what I big job it is. I cut up some old socks and put them on the wheels of the cart I made, to keep the sand out, It worked pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
32,472 Posts
Nice project, Randy. As suggested, check all the garnet red colors, late model Buick and Hyundai have a pretty garnet red.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have some progress to show. I welded in the center trunk gutter piece and welded in a center trunk pan. The trunk pan came with the car when I bought it. The trunk pan has a little light surface rust from sitting around. I am trying to prepare everything to install the quarters. I rebuilt the door hinges and have been aligning the doors.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed a right trunk drop off. and have been working on getting the new AMD quarter panel to fit. The first time I put the quarter panel on it took about 30 min to get it in place. I have had it off and on so many times now it just takes seconds.

The AMD quarter will need some work in this area.

I cant seem to get the quarter panel to fit while the outer wheel house is in place. I have massaged that wheel house over and over, not sure what to do yet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
looking good, Garnet red is my favorite 69 color. Are you going to put hockey stripes on it or leave it plain?

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have not had much time to work on the car, just a little time here and there. I have installed the left truck drop off, I have the trunk floor epoxy primed. Bought a new amd tail light panel. Everything is starting to line up, getting close to start punching holes for plug welds.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Nice work, looking good!

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today I made some quarter panel upper braces. I have the left quarter panel prepped and ready for welding. I installed some window clip studs on the rear window channel of the quarter panel and welded the back of the stud to the quarter panel. On the right side I have to install the outer wheel house and prep the quarter panel for welding. I cant believe how long it is taking to get everything ready to weld.

1 - 20 of 291 Posts