Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the black faced gages were from novas? did the camaro only come with silver face???

------------------
68 convertible...ZZ4, ect
67 base coupe - all orig!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't know the whole story on the black face/Silver face gauges, but I do know that my dad bought a brand new 69 Nova 396/375 and it came with silver faces. Up until then, I thought only Camaros had silver and novas had black......Maybe after 69, they went to black? Because I don't think these same style of gauges came in the camaro after 69. Only the nova.

·
Registered
190 Posts
From what I've read in mags. and parts books Camaro only came with silver gauges, and Novas with black. Maybe somebody has the limited production and special edition book to verify it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The July /August 1996 Camaro Enthusiast magazine has an article on an unrestored late '69 Z that had black gages. The theory goes that as production slowed down, and not knowing when the '69 production would end the gage manufacturer made only black, to not end up with excess inventory of silver gages.
I had a 10/69 car that had black gages also. I think they were original , but can't swear to it as I bought it used.
I have black gages in my '69 because I think they go better with the black speedo/ clock/ tach.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
496 Posts
My 69 also has the black faced gauges. Not sure if they are original as I bought the car from it's 2nd owner.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Black guage faces!? I feel vindicated. I was talking with a camaro guy around here and when I mentioned black guages he basically told me I was crazy. It wasn't a question as to which color was right for a '69 Camaro, he simply insisted that black didn't exist at all. I've since come to accept silver as the "right" and only color gauge face.

My question then is...does anyone make/reproduce these black faces? I too, think they look/match better in a '69 and would prefer them even if they aren't "correct". I'm in the process of assembling my reproduction console gauges as we speak and would gladly postpone the process if someone could tell me where I can get the "Nova style" faces...assuming they fit.

------------------
'69 Garnet Red Convertible, Ivory over black, 350 w/turbo 400

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I don't know if anybody reproduces the black faces, years ago the Camaro catalogs gave the option, I don't know about now. You may try a Nova place, I got a set at a swap meet, and yes they are 100% interchangable. Good luck,

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
496 Posts
The last time I looked in the Classic Industries catalog, they had the black faced gauges.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts