Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add the console and guages to my 69. When installing the console, are the mounting holes already there and plugged, or do I need to drill. Also, can this be done with trans. in place? (4 speed) Car did not originally have console installed. Also is there a way to test the guages to see if they even work before I put them in?

·
Registered
460 Posts
The holes for the console are not pre-drilled but they did the hard part for you. All the nessasary mounting locations are dimpled so you know where to drill. You can do it with the trans in place but I would cover it with a blanket or something. Letting the drill shavings fall over the trans just wouldn't sit right with me. The factory used insets in these holes so you didn't have to worry about the nut on the other side. They may or may not be available but should be cheap if you know someone with a parts car or they are probably used in many different cars of the era so easy to find in a junkyard. You can use regular nuts and bolts providing you have another set of hands. Can't help with testing the guages first

·
Registered
366 Posts
You also might want to consult the factory assembly manual (page 240-246). There is a small tab that must be cut off the console when used with a 4 speed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I'll locate an assembly manual and all necessary hardware. The guages were bought at a swap meet in a warped console (the rear courtesy lamp was the culprit). Got a new top and base and all other parts I couldn't salvage off the old one along with dash and console harness.Looks I'm just about good to go. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts