Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm not sure if this should be here, or in the Heating & Cooling section or even somewhere else for that matter. But here goes -

I can't seem to get my water temp gauge working on my car. It's a 427 and I'm wonder if the issue is that I have the gauge (nail head type) in the aluminum manifold rather then screw into the cast iron head. The wiring harness, the gauge, the sensor are all brand new, but I can never get the dang gauge to register. Seems to me that it is a single wire installation with ground and shouldn't be rocket science here. Any thoughts to the temp gauge sensor screwed into the intake manifold vs. the head?
Thanks.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
Head /manifold doesnt matter

Power goes into the gauge to the sensor then ground...are u sure u have power to the gauge?
and if the engine is cold the needle will not show so...
Try the sensor in a electic jug ....ground the sensor body then heat up the jug with it in.
A temp gauge in the water compared to where the gauge is reading will tell u what temp is where.

·
11,345 Posts
Rob, long time no talk? Hows it going? My car is coming together, should be ready this spring or early summer! Cant wait.

On your question, there are two types of sensor, with or without gauges. Without gauges, the sensor only has two settings, off and on when temps reach something high 210 degrees? The gauge sensor uses a graduated ohm load (like a gas gauge) to work. So, did you buy a gauge version? they way to test is put in a pot of water with a cooking thermo. hook the sensor up to a ohm meter and watch the ohms as the water heats. Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I have a bad ground. I'll have to go over it again and check the sensor. Taking the center console in/out/apart is getting old -but the gas gauge is working either. But I think that might be the sending unit. It's the original one.

Kevin - Your right, long time no talk. Too long ... Great news that you are making some solid progress on the car. This warmer weather must be a nice help to you. Spring/Summer sounds good. I bet it's looking dang nice!

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Rob, my sender, from the factory, was in the head. I didn't like it, but I was just a kid learning about everything. I moved it to the intake manifold. It works much better. Learning still.;)

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
I moved it to the intake manifold. It works much better.
I did so to, compared readings the diff was negitable once the thermostat opened
The advantage of the manifold one can see the thermostat open on the gauge in the speed and how the needle moves.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hope im not Hijacking thread, i am having the same issues yet my gauges work. I also have my temp sender in the head (have alloy heads, no temp sender hole also been told its a better reading) my gauge reads... Only it goes up so so fast in a matter of minutes and says the engine is boiling when i know its not (have put in mechanical gauge to get actual temp).

Could this just be a ground issue also? i have new gauges, new sender (for gauges), new wiring.

Doing my head in!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts