Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to add a console and gauges to my otherwise all original 69 Z/28. Looking at the prices the original stuff is going for on E-Bay has made me consider going ahead and purchasing new parts for some place like Classic. How close to the originals are console and gauge parts offered from places like that?

------------------

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Close enough that probably 98% of people looking at them wouldn't know the difference. Besides, do you really want to trust 33 year old gauges? I got the complete set from Ricks, and I'm very happy with it. Why pay 500+ bucks on Ebay for an old, used set, when you can get brand new set for less than 400? Pretty easy decision for me.......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!
The Texas Tornado lives!

North Texas Camaro Club

Hobbystage Free Picture Posting!!! http://hobbystage.net/camaro/69ss396/

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Do you realy want to trust the repro?

I have Nova gauges with repro silver face plates added. It was all that was available at the time.

I did the original gauge setup and console. I had to scrounge a bit so I did end up with a repro gauge housing top as well. It is a bit different as the plastic chrome trim is silver paint and it is too short at the rear but, overall I was pleased. I don't blame you for wanting the repro as those prices lately are outrageous and going higher. I wish I had 10 of them.

-Mark.

[This message has been edited by stingr69 (edited 04-07-2002).]

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Rick's offers a better gauge face that they can substitute before mailing you your order. It will look much closer to the original gauge faces than what normally comes with the repro gauges. Those silver faces are not close to the original look. I had a good discussion with them at Carlisle last year about this as I felt that it would look lousy , in contrast, if I just swapped out a repro amp gauge in comparison to the remaining originals. Or, you could go with the new Autometer steup.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts