Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced your header moldings and do the OER repo parts fit properly ? I noticed in the Ricks catalog it shows them as having a satin finish. I'm really not crazy about painting over chrome. In the Classic catalog it says they are brushed chrome finish. If I chose to bead blast the ones I have any suggestions on what finish to use ?

·
11,298 Posts
Kent, don't let them fool you. I have a set of GM mouldings circa 1982 and a Classic repro. Both sets have the satin painted on (Rally wheel argent looking color) The originals were chromed satin! If you have a good set of chrome ones and you want the 68-69 satin look, paint em, don't waste money a new set. I have not tried the set on to talk about fit.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, 3.55 posi too! Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 07-29-2002).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Heres the stroy on Chrome versus satin
The 67 chrome ones caused a bright reflection when the top was down supposely distracting or blinding other drivers. The solution was to paint them satin except for about an inch on each end. This last inch is visible when the top is up so it was left as chrome to match the window trim. I beleive they were all the same (others on this site can verify if they are) but that is the story with the satin finish.

·
Registered
565 Posts
They are a pain to replace. My originals were very messed up looking. Getting the original ones off was not to hard. Putting the new ones on required a rubber hammer and some careful taping to get it in place. I wound up cracking some of the chrome on the new moldings. It was not enough to make me send them back and start over but it is something to watch out for.
I think I bought mine from Classic Industries.

------------------
69 RS Convertible Camaro, 350/350. Orignal red with black top and interior. Hotchkis suspension.
http://www.ragersworld.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts