Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together my 69 Convertible and have a question. Is it better to first install the rear side glass and regulators etc, or would it be better to install the convertible top frame first, then the rear side glass?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
32,797 Posts
IMO, glass first. But then, I'm not a professional body man, er, person.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Once you get you glass and regulators in, install top. Adjust glass to meet top , basically adjust both to get best fit. Top will have adjustment screws to be parallel to glass tops

Scot

·
11,416 Posts
Kinda like "the chicken or the egg" question. Window in 1st makes a little more sense since ram/springs are to the interior in the space and may cover up access to the window well.

As to adjusting, you really need everything in place (top, door and qtr window and ALL weatherstrip, but NOT top canvas) in order to do the adjustments. It all works together and has to be adjusted all together :)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, agree, it will all have to be adjusted once it's all in. Sounds like the rear window parts are to go in first.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Install the glass first with the top down. You need all the room you can get when you drop the glass down the holes into the body. Make sure they actually roll up and down. Align the door glass to the front A pillar. Align the quarter window glass to the door glass.

Roll the windows down. Install the weather stripping on the convertible top. Close the convertible top. Position the front header bow so that it latches and is straight. Adjust the middle allan head screw so the middle does not sag. Roll the windows up. Move the back part of the convertible frame so there is a tight fit between the rear semi-vertical part of the quarter window and the convertible top frame. There are three bolts on the rear of the frame that makes this adjustment. I think they are called the male bolts?

Adjust the tilt of the windows so that they fit into the weather stripping on the frame. You will notice the rubber weather stripping has a slot where the window fits into when the window is rolled up. Open and close the doors to see if the windows fit back into the slot of the weather stripping. Roll the glass up and down to see if everything still fits and has a smooth operation.

If you are replacing the cloth top, you will will have to readjust the windows and frame a little after the top is installed. The cloth has to be stretched tight and it might cause a little movement in the frame.

Reactions: bills69
1 - 7 of 7 Posts