Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Camaro was jacked up in the front to replace brake lines and when I put the car back on the ground the right front spring stayed stiff. I to rock and bounce the car a few time for it to release, is this a common thing that can happen or is something wrong?

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
spring is not in the pocket. BE VERY CARFEUL!! Keep the kids back. You may have to release the tension and rotate the spring til it sits in the pocket....watch out.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
But the springs were replaced years ago, although the guy who did the work front and rear springs at the time turned out to be a moron! I take it this is not a fluke thing that happened but a problem?

What do I do to correct this problem?

Also is there some kind of front coil spring insulator that goes on the top of the front spring,and is it necessary?

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Yeah, sounds like its rotated out of pocket. Not common, but guess it can happen. Is it a lowered spring?

I figure if it rotated unintentionally, you should be able to rotate it back to where it should be. Not spring insulator.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a set of Moog spring with stock replacement height that he put in. Could they have been installed incorrectly? Does the spring need to come out or can it be compressed and rotated? I have never done this before, what does this pocket look like?

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
The easiest way to do this is jack the car back up and get a tie down strap like what they use for motorcycles and rap it around a couple of times tighten it up and turn the spring in the location to fall back into the pocket.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
So it's noticeably stiffer than it was before? I'm guessing so since you notice it now, especially just on one side.

If it's a stock-sized spring, it shouldn't have rotated out of the pocket just from jacking the car up.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The front end of the car was fine before I jacked up the car. When I lowered the car it was stiff as a board on the right front side, the left side was normal (bounced up and down). After I pushed/rocked the car a few times on the ground it fell into place and now is normal.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What does this pocket look like? Is it a round grove shaped like a donuts on the top side or is there a area that the beginning of the spring end fits into?
Also what is the assembly manual talking about with a measuremant of 3/8 + - 1/8? I do not see any thing in the service manual about this?

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
You're correct in your description of the spring pocket!....The end of the spring tang should be the measurement you described.....Most likely the end of the spring is very close to the spring groove end in the pocket, it would need to be shifted over!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the hole for ?

What does the spring insulator do, I dont think my car has one from when the springs were replaced?

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
stops it from screechin and moving around under load...insulator that is.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
The hole in the upper spring pocket is where you want the end of the spring tangent to be, give or take a little.

They did not have an insulator from the factory.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Steve, If I'm hearing what you type, it's not unusual or bad.

When the suspension on our cars goes to full droop (jacked up, no wieght) the tire moves outboard due to the angles of the a arms.

When you lower it back down, the tire hits the pavement out about 3/4" from where it should be.
This "locks" the suspension, it gets stiff as a board cause the tire can't move inward.

Generally just rolling the car back and forth a few feet will take the bind out and get everything back to normal.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I jacked up the ar again to replace front tires and when I put it back on the ground the right spring again stayed stiff until I drove the car for a few feet and made a turn.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts