Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering what you thought the proper order of operation should be on my car. It has some rust in the typical places and so I bought all new sheet metal to replace it all. I figure, if I am wanting a near-perfect and rust free car, I should replace all the metal and start fresh instead of cutting and patching it all. (too much work)

Here's what I am replacing:
  1. full floor pans (left and right individuals)
  2. full rockers
  3. Full rear quarter panels
  4. trunk pan
  5. outer trunk drop offs
  6. trunk floor outer extensions
  7. trunk floor reinforcements
  8. rear inner tail panel
  9. rear outer tail panel
  10. all four trunk floor to quarter and tail pan braces
  11. Outer wheel houses
  12. rear filler panel between rear windshield and trunk lid
  13. rear inner quarter panel walls for rear window regulators
Which order should I do these in? and can I do some or all of this on the rotisserie or would it not pay to do that? I bought a very nice used rotisseri and have a Lincoln HD3200 mig welder with Argon/Co2 gas. I am ready to go and already have the full rear quarters removed at the seams. Yesterday, I removed the trunk gutter sections that I will need to re-install later. (although I think they include them)

***Also, to properly install the new FULL QUARTERS, how do you remove the little strip along the roof rail gutters on each lower pillar without destroying them? I can barely see (what I think are) the spot welds. OR should I just buy new repro roof rail gutters to make it easier?

Thanks
Todd
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
the quarters are attached with lead at the pillar that connects to the roof, you can melt it off with a torch

i have no idea if this helps you, but interesting thread, i need to replace most of this stuff also

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the quarters are attached with lead at the pillar that connects to the roof, you can melt it off with a torch

i have no idea if this helps you, but interesting thread, i need to replace most of this stuff also
THanks. YEs, I saw that in a you tube video once. Instead of melting it, I just cut 1/4 inch below that seam with my 3" cut off wheel and got it off that way. I left a little extra metal just in case. You know what they say, "It's easier to cut off than to put back on". (very true --I am learning) {in the Star Wars Yoda voice} :)

Todd

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
THanks. YEs, I saw that in a you tube video once. Instead of melting it, I just cut 1/4 inch below that seam with my 3" cut off wheel and got it off that way. I left a little extra metal just in case. You know what they say, "It's easier to cut off than to put back on". (very true --I am learning) {in the Star Wars Yoda voice} :)

Todd
glad i could help.. and glad to see that you are doing the body work yourself.. have you ever done body work before?

i never have, and i get to look forward to replacing everything you mentioned except for the trunk stuff

if you dont mind me asking, where are you getting your sheet metal from?

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I found some of the pieces locally at a swap meet. They are all Goodmark or Golden Legion brand. (same thing)

The full quarters and the inner rear tail panel were bought from MattsclassicBowties. He gave me a SUPER price on it all. The full quarters were $290 each and the inner rear tail panel was only $63. The freight was $105 for it all since I know someone with a business that I had it shipped to. I couldn't pass this sweet deal up so I did it. It was all in stock and shipped within 7 days to my friend's business.

ONE of the full rear quarters looked like it was dropped slightly on its end-- it was enough to put a darn crease in it and I was quite mad when I noticed it (after I brought them home of course!) :mad: But, it's nothing that I cannot repair quickly. The shipper did not pad that one carton for some reason. The quarter panels were packaged in separate boxes and just that one was not padded at all. I am in the middle of a claim right now hoping to get another quarter shipped to me in exchange for this one.

Otherwise, all the other sheet metal is Good mark or GM original that I have saved from many years ago.

If I ever have to buy it all again, I would either go through BelAir Bobs or Mattsbowtieclassics. Both are very competitively priced and carry Good mark or Golden Legion metal.

Keep in touch. I am taking a little break with the family, so I will continue working on it when I return. (10 days)

Todd

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me, one of the fenders were damaged from shipping, and i had no idea until i put it on the car (you couldnt tell until you put it on the car).. by that time i had already drilled the panel for the emblems and they wouldn't take it back

oh well though, just need to save up some money to get some panels and a welder

good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts