Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to order a new tinted windsheild and was wondering if the shade band was on the original windshields or was it an option or not ever available? the windsheild i removed was not original and i see that vendors do sell a tinted windshield with a shade band. thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The two glass options for '69 were tinted and non-tinted. If my idea of a shade band and yours are the same, no there were no shade bands. My car has tinted glass and I don't notice a band.
Hope that helps,
Doug

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
i agree..

all winshields were shaded.

an option would be tinted.this would also be shaded.
the band along the top header.....

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
ok..

shaded ( the top of the windshield has a dark band of tint)

tinted ( the entire windshield has a greenish tint to it)

some winshields have both..........a tinted windshield will have both........

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
Not all windsheilds were shaded. My car came with clear glass all around. The front windshield was original and was not tinted at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gambitt i can buy a windshield that is tinted and has the shade band across the top. i can also get a tinted with out the shade band. my personal pref. is with the shade band wagonman and doug diff on the shade band i don't know why one would come with a band and another without if all the glass came from LOF?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I just bought a new set of glass from Auto City Classics...I got tinted like my car originally had, but I also got the shade band across the top...I assumed it was an original type piece. It is pilkington glass...

I looked through a lot of my pics of 69's I have collected and the majority of them have the band...so I would assume it was an option, but I would have also thought it was part of the tinted package.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
With these two replies...I am confused. Am I the only one? :)
Gambitt,
I re-read this and was so confused I had to take the cover off my car to check it out. Guess what, I've got a shade band across the top of my windshield!! Never even knew it was there.
Hope that clears things up a little,
Doug

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Wish I could help but,,,,,,, I refused to pay $45.00!!!!!,,, for the tinted glass option when I ordered my car. That was nearly 3 days pay, for me back then. It was a no-cost item for the manufacturer to tint the glass so I wasn't gonna get suckered into it. Can you even buy clear glass anymore?
Now my windshield is tinted/shaded. I bought the glass from a guy who worked for a glass shop and provided it at cost. Installation too. (we all know how those deals work) Anyway, total cost (1978ish) $35.00.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
There were only two types of windshields - clear (which was standard equipment) and tinted (which was optional); the tinted windshield had an overall greenish tint, and a darker shaded band across the top about 3" wide. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yeah, it all makes sense now:) You have any pics of your car available Doug? I would like to take a peek!
Jason,

This is the only picture I have available right now . Need to take some more. This is a picture from a couple of years ago when 5 or 6 of us camaro guys cruised up to a mountain car show about 70 miles out of town. It was a fun, beautiful ride through the Sierra Nevada mountains in early fall.

The 68 next to my car is DaytonZ28. It's numbers matching and completely restored.

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3616975/2007/3/21/My_Z_and_Daytons_Z.jpg

Doug

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
There were only two types of windshields - clear (which was standard equipment) and tinted (which was optional); the tinted windshield had an overall greenish tint, and a darker shaded band across the top about 3" wide. :thumbsup:
So a non-tinted (clear) windshield would not have the shaded band across the top?

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
Thats correct. I was trying to say that when I mentioned my original was clear in the sixth post down.

Not all windsheilds were shaded. My car came with clear glass all around. The front windshield was original and was not tinted at all.

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
I don't think any first gen had a shaded band across the top of the glass. The glass was either all clear, or all tinted, and the tint was green not blue like modern glass is.
We are back to the original question.:confused:

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I have what I'm pretty sure to be an original windshield out of a 69 Z. Last inspection sticker was 1979, and the date code was good for the car, IIRC.

Tinted glass car, had the shaded band across the top. I'll check it again here in the next day or so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts