Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interesting situation. I am running a cowl hood on my '67 camaro. 350 engine, scorpion intake, holley double pumper, 14"x4" air cleaner. So far so good. Today I decided to put on a 2" open spacer under carb for a little more top-end. I measured all height clearances, hood hole diameter (15 1/2"), and installed it. Surprise! Hood won't close fully! It seems that the hole on this cowl hood is off-set from center of engine (carburator) appox. 4" toward the front of car. I know, simple thing is to use a smaller diameter air cleaner, maybe 10-12", but I like a large diameter cleaner. I just assumed that with a 15 1/2" hole that a 14" cleaner would (dah!) work. I never even thought of it being offset that much. When the hood is with-in 1 1/2" of being closed the hole is still forward 4". Amazing. Anybody else had this experience?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I put a 4" drop base air cleaner on my 68 with a cowl hood and big block and the hood wouldn't close with a 1" spacer under the carb. So I took the 1" spacer out. The hood now closes but the air cleaner rubs the hood opening. When looking at the open hood from the front of the car the air cleaner rubs the rear passenger side of the hole. I'm going to make a custom bottom air cleaner base to move the whole assembly to the center of the hole so when I add my RPM air gap intake the hood will shut. I've still got over an 1" of clearence now.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23

·
Registered
65 Posts
I took care of all that Brodix HV1 manifold 2" spacer and a 14 X4 aircleaner. Harwood 4" cowl

------------------
S/B Chevy Lover
67 Camaro street car
10:50's @ 128 on motor w/383 cid
79 Z28 w/383 9.1:1 3.73:1 Restoring stock apearance
13:40's @ 101 stock exh.& intake& Qjet
smog legal
Camaro Lover

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think K&N makes an offset air cleaner, moves it forward. Might be enough to center it in your cowl hood.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I guess I'm not the only one had a problem with the offset hole. Does anybody know why they would make the hole offset? Looks to me the logical place to put the center of hole would be directly centered over carb. What gives?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts