Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - while doing my "ground-up" resto, I'm trying to get the new dash carrier installed. It's all stock with the tac and clock. I installed the astro vent pipe, and loosened the steering colunm bolts to drop the colunm slightly. I can not for the life of me get the carrier in place. I've even got the steering wheel off. Do i need to remove the ignition lock assemblyto make room to slide the carrier in place???

Any help will be appreciated!
:confused:

:beers:

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Drop the column completely, rather than just loosen it, to get the most clearance.

Then you'll want to make sure all the wiring, switches, connectors, etc. are out of the way. Should go into place fairly easily, and you want to make sure the studs on the RH side of the carrier are lined up with the holes in the dashboard.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave - how far do you drop the column - there must be other bolts to loosen lower to the floor - It doesn't appear to want to drop easily hate to push down on the column and bend something.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
It's not going to drop too far as you have the rubber seal on the floor and the wire harness' holding things in place. You should have enough room to slide the carrier in without dropping it too far. You might want to get some painters tape (blue or green) and wrap your steering column where your trying to get your bezel over the column as not to scratch it. Like Dave says, the farther down you can get the column the better, but you may have to start loosening some harness' to get it to drop.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears to only drop about 3/4", without forcing it down. I suppose I can loosen the big column seal where the column goes throught the firewall - that may give me what I need. I'm just scared of breaking off the two screw support holes on both sides of the carrier, close to the column... that would be my luck.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
As far as dropping the column, just remove the two nuts at the pedal bracing, under where the carrier goes. It wont go to the floor, but you wont need it to.

Just to add to Dennis' tape suggestion, I prefer laying a towel over the column to avoid scratching it.

With the column lowered, just make sure everything else is out of the way and that the studs line up in the dash. Not much else to it :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Yep thats the problem. If you can get it low enough you can slide it over the skinner part of the column. There should be 3 or 4 screw's with large washers that hold the column seal to the firewall. Just don't yank on it without making sure your wires have enough play in them. If it's never been lowered, it might have some ties on it holding things in place.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Dave - just to confirm - the tac, speedo, and clock are mounted in the carrier before I mount the carrier... is that an OK sequence???
Yes, you want the gauges installed before mounting the carrier. Ive never tried, but would think it would be rather difficult to mount all the gauges afterwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts