Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for info online about a Camaro pace car in 1969 at the Daytona 500 race. Does anyone have any details or photos? Sorry if this has been hammered or discussed earlier...thanks!!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't believe those 68 and 69 Camaro "Daytona" pace cars were spesifically built as "pace cars" like the 67 and 69 Indy Pace Car models. Rather just RS/SS Camaros that were used as Pace Cars. Probably cars off the lot or ordered from a local dealer. But I'm no expert.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
They had some differentiating characteristics, if I remember an earlier thread correctly. I think for one thing, the rims were blue. I can't remember if they all had rallys like the one in Charlie's pic, or if some had dog dish. But in any case, the rims would not have been blue. I think they were special ordered by NASCAR, and picked up at a dealer, somewhere near the track. I talked to a guy a few years ago who had one from Tallagega, I think. He thought it might have come from a dealer in Chattanooga.

When I was looking for a car, a guy told me about a 69 IPC under a tarp in a carport. I tracked it down, and talked to the owner, who also thought it was a IPC....but it wasn't Z11 nor hugger houndstooth. Other than being a white SS convertible, there were no other similarities to an IPC.

After the discussion about the NASCAR pacecars, I drove past the car again, thinking it MIGHT have been a NASCAR car. I didn't remember, until I looked again, that it wasn't even an RS. Now if some of the NASCAR cars were not RS, I'll try again. Anyone know?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts