Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have an early 69 Z/28 and my disc brake hoses metal connections appear to be brass. I ordered some new aftermarket hoses from Ricks and another set from my local NAPA.... no matter where I go every pair are silver plated ends (made in China). Can somebody tell me the correct finishes metals they are and where I can find either NOS or others with correct metal???

12,069 Posts
That is strange, they should be brass. When I look at Heartbeat and Right stuff, the pics still look brass (colored at least). I bought Right stuff hoses a long time ago though.

· Premium Member
5,594 Posts
I don't think they are actually brass. They are gold plated. Kinda like zink, but gold. You can search YouTube and do it yourself.

12,069 Posts
I just pulled mine out, it certainly looks like a brass type alloy to me and is non-magnetic. It is not coated, scratch test shows shiny brass metal underneath, but exterior has tarnish on it. Factory originals were also this same brass alloy.

Office supplies Household hardware Laser pointer Wood Gun accessory

· Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody.... as you can see in the photo's above (If I posted them correctly) what I really need is how to go about restoring these correctly... what will work without galvanic corrosion resulting from dissimilar metals.

The engine and trans are out and the complete nose is removed.... so I am at the point where it is now or never. With this cars 53 years of life it's cool to discover the factory manufacturing and assembly processes, I almost hate to pull the sub-frame all apart as it appears to be mostly original. However, it needs some restoration. I bought this car to be a Sunday driver out and about waving at the fans as we pass our local burger joints, no trailer queen... but I guess I'm in for a penny in for a $$$$... I didn't want another concourse project waiting for completion... So any help is appreciated. JD

· Premium Member
5,594 Posts
I personally feel if you are just wanting something to go to the burger joint you are way over thinking this as many of the people on this site. The hoses from the local auto parts stores are zink coated. They are not going to just rust and fall apart. If the color bothers you, search YouTube on zink coating bolts . You can do it in silver or a gold ish color. It's very simple to do at home . I do it often. Use the store bought ones and gold zink plate them.

· Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Thanks everybody.... as you can see in the photo's above (If I posted them correctly) what I really need is how to go about restoring these correctly... what will work without galvanic corrosion resulting from dissimilar metals.

The engine and trans are out and the complete nose is removed.... so I am at the point where it is now or never. With this cars 53 years of life it's cool to discover the factory manufacturing and assembly processes, I almost hate to pull the sub-frame all apart as it appears to be mostly original. However, it needs some restoration. I bought this car to be a Sunday driver out and about waving at the fans as we pass our local burger joints, no trailer queen... but I guess I'm in for a penny in for a $$$$... I didn't want another concourse project waiting for completion... So any help is appreciated. JD
If your concerned about the coating / plating on the hose ends, I would at least pull the sub frame to put in fresh body mounts and control arm bushings, your 95% there already. While your at it, some tall upper ball joints to give you more camber and a decent swaybar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts